"I think I saw him on TV, yes."

"Exactly. He's not an actor or an artist. He was just born into a famous, wealthy family and all eyes are on him. And he doesn't make a lot of effort to please his father. And though the man has wanted to hand everything to him, he just wouldn't budge. His priorities are on different matters entirely. I think Mr. Astor knows how it is when people in his board are... let's just say bachelors. All eyes are on them and if things get ugly, the public will know and their products will suffer. In a weird way, consumer minds work like that. There was actually an article written why Astor Industries is adamant on its members being family oriented. It's crazy as hell, I know, but then, there are other companies with a lot of weird rules. At first, I rejected the idea of having a family until I found out my board members are trying to think about voting me out."

"They can't do that, can they? You're the owner of the company!"

"I own pretty much of the company, but I'm not the sole owner," he pointed out. "The company's having trouble with competitors like Astor Industries and merging the business with them will solve it."

"So you were forced to find a wife."

He smiled. "No, not really, but I did not refuse it when it was presented to me. Your father offered me the solution because of this thing we stumbled upon together. My family, unknowingly to them, kind of made me even more desperate. It's a win-win for me and your father."

"And you've been planning it a long time ago," she sighed. "Philip Strindberg style," she shook her head. "So, I'm assuming you already merged with Astor Industries?"

He nodded. "The day after we got back from the Philippines."

She was wondering why his reason didn't bother her at all. Well, maybe it was the thought from the back of her mind that knew about Philip having another reason. What she didn't understand though was how he would explain to his new associates about their divorce. She didn't want to ruin the mood of the evening so she rejected the idea of asking him. It would be his problem in the end, right?

*****

Hours later, she was lying in bed wrapped in his arms with the same feeling of contentment she always felt every time they were like that.

Through the darkness of the room, she peered through her husband's sleeping form and smiled. She couldn't get over his gift. It was great and thoughtful and sweet. She hadn't—not in her wildest dreams—imagined that he would do something like that.

All the while she thought he was getting distant because of some reasons. She thought those calls he'd been making were just all for his business..

Chanty and Angelica were stunned when they knew about the star. Everyone was, actually, including Harrison. Yes, of course she told Chanty who told almost everyone. That was how the talk of the star spread through the crowd in the exhibit.

I don't think I would want to leave when the time comes, she thought to herself as she traced her husband's face with her fingers. Her life had always been full of surprises, but they were mostly brought about by her. And when she was with Dennis, it was always predictable. She knew his every move, his every thought, and his secrets. But with Philip, she was always at a loss, and always at a big surprise with the things he did. He never failed to make her do the extremes—good or bad—and she was starting to get used to it.

*****

The next day, it felt like the tight knot between them came loose and finally both of them could breathe more freely. And it also meant she had to go back to her chores.

But Cassandra always found a way through.

It was her birthday! And she made it sure to remind him.