Chapter 10

"What? No," she leaned over to the lady, planting both her hands on the cool marble counter, and said, "I specifically asked for a room with two beds a couple of days ago."

The lady looked at her screen again and looked at her with the same awkward look, "We don't really have the bedroom that you want right now, Miss Anders."

"What?" She was really getting confused. It must be the heat. "Then give me a freaking penthouse or something," she said, not remembering the name of the most expensive rooms in the hotel.

"I'm afraid that's impossible, ma'am. Reservations are needed to get the rooms. We are full today until next week."

"You must be kidding..."

"I'm afraid we don't have a choice here." Philip brushed her aside to talk to the woman, "We'll take the room. We don't mind the room you can offer us at all."

"But I specifically made changes—" she started and he cut her off with a look.

"Don't even try saying we'll find another hotel because I'm already beat, Cassandra," he said stonily.

"Fine, but you're sleeping on the floor."

Philip smiled at the woman who was now looking at them with confusion. "She's just kidding," he explained. "Where do we sign?"

The lady just nodded and handed them papers to fill out. Philip handled the bill and they were off to their room. The bellboy led the way with their suitcases on a luggage cart.

Cassandra was still in confusion over their bedroom when they finally reached it. It was big and spacious and the view from the glass windows was stunning, but there was really only one bed.

"This is freaking movie material. Bad fate playing on two strangers walking into a hotel," she muttered under her breath in disbelief.

Philip was busy handing the bellboy a tip when she decided she should dominate the bed. Dropping her bag, she half-ran to the queen-sized bed and flung herself on top of it, her arms spread out.

"What the hell are you doing?" he demanded, his brows furrowed.

"I'm lying on my bed," she answered.

"It's our bed," he corrected, his hands unconsciously planted on his hips. She could see he was breathing heavily. He was obviously tired.

"No, it's mine. Yours is down there," she pointed at the carpeted floor.

"The hell it is," Philip scowled and without a word dropped on the bed beside her. "This bed is big enough for two..." he said beside her. She managed to scoot on one side before his big lean body hit the bed. "...and maybe some other activities," he added with a leer.

Cassandra gasped and pushed him with her hands and feet, "The only activity on this bed is me sleeping on it," she pushed harder until the lower part of his body fell from the bed, "alone!" she added with a grunt, giving him one last kick.

Philip jumped right back on the bed. "That's not going to happen. I paid for this room."

Cassandra pushed him with four limbs but this time he was heavier. "I'll pay you back gladly. Now get off my bed!"

"Are you afraid I'll touch you?" he teased, his rumpled brown head turning toward her and his lips were grinning at her wickedly. There went his odd temperament again. One moment he was the arrogant bastard from that first day in the coffee shop and he was the playful, sexy guy the next. His parents' genes must have been a wrong match from the get-go.