Twenty-two (22)

It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
And make fun of our exes, uh uh, uh uh.
It feels like a perfect night for breakfast at midnight
To fall in love with strangers, uh uh, uh uh.

Yeah,
We're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time
It's miserable and magical.
Oh, yeah
Tonight's the night when we forget about the deadlines
It's time

Uh oh!
I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright
If you keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright
If we just keep dancing like we're
22, ooh-ooh
22, ooh-ooh

It seems like one of those nights,
This place is too crowded.
Too many cool kids, uh uh, uh uh (who's Taylor Swift anyway, ew?)
It seems like one of those nights,
We ditch the whole scene and end up dreaming
Instead of sleeping.

Yeah,
We're happy, free, confused, and lonely in the best way
It's miserable and magical.
Oh, yeah
Tonight's the night when we forget about the heartbreaks
It's time

Uh oh! (hey!)
I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright
If you keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright (alright)
If we just keep dancing like we're
22, ooh-ooh (oh, oh, oh)
22, ooh-ooh
I don't know about you
22, ooh-ooh
22, ooh-ooh

It feels like one of those nights,
We ditch the whole scene.
It feels like one of those nights,
We won't be sleeping.
It feels like one of those nights,
You look like bad news.
I gotta have you,
I gotta have you.

Ooh-ooh
Ooh-ooh, ye-e-e-e-eah, hey
I don't know about you (I don't know about you)
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright
If you keep me next to you
You don't know about me (you don't know about me)
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright
If we just keep dancing like we're
22, ooh-ooh
22, ooh-ooh
22, ooh-ooh, yeah, yeah
22, ooh-ooh, yeah, yeah, yeah

It feels like one of those nights,
We ditch the whole scene
It feels like one of those nights,
We won't be sleeping
It feels like one of those nights,
You look like bad news,
I gotta have you,
I gotta have you.

************

Taylor's point of view:

The song '22' is kind of an idea I got while I was on a plane and I ran into the studio with Max Martin and Shellback and I was like "You guys, listen to this!", and they loved it too, so we worked on it and I wanted to write a song about what my summer had been like with my friends, with that kind of attitude of like "We are in our 20's, and we don't know anything, and it's awesome!", you know, and it's kind of fun to embrace that and I gotta say, that's probably one of the biggest choruses on the record.

*********

Documentary:

In an interview with Ramin Setoodeh Taylor says, "Having written a song called 'Fifteen,' about how much I learned at age 15, and how that was a really heavy year for me. I learned a lot of lessons the hard way and it was a vulnerable age. And 22 is a vulnerable age, but you're a little more brave. You're a little more ready to take risks and live with the consequences. To me, the song '22' has a more carefree background to it. Because the age of 22 is much more carefree for me than 15 was."
Taylor says in her Paint the World Red website, "I wanted to write a song about what my summer had been like, with my friends with that kind of attitude of like 'We are in our 20's and we don't know anything and it's awesome.' It's kind of fun to embrace that and I've got to say that's probably one of the biggest choruses on the record."

It's a song dedicated to her best friends! In the song, the names ASHLEY, DIANNA, CLAIRE, SELENA are in all caps in her lyric hidden messages.
With her friends Taylor is "happy, free, confused and Lonely in the bEst way/it's miserable aNd mAgical, oh yeah/tonight's the night when we forget about the heartbreaks, its time". She can let go of her inhibitions to "dreSs up like Hipsters/and make fun of our exes/forget About the deadlines". She "gotta have" her best friends.
Selena says "One of my favorite stories with Taylor Swift was when I was going through a very hard breakup. She came to my house at 10:30 at night and knocked on my door. I opened it, and she had two big bags of junk food, cookies, Snickers and soda, She put it on the table, put her laptop on, we made a video, and she told me that now we could look forward to breakups, since we know the other one will get us junk food."

***********
Song meanings:
"It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters... And make fun of our exes."
(((It seems like fun to dress up like a hipster. This is one of Taylor's few songs that isn't about an ex, so she had to throw the line about making fun of her exes to "get back" at them as usual.)))
"It feels like a perfect night for breakfast at midnight... To fall in love with strangers"
(((It feels pretty good to have breakfast late, and mess around with strangers. For Taylor, that means they're in love and must get married now. I feel like this perfect night for 'falling in love with strangers' is every night for her.)))
"We're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time... It's miserable and magical"
(((They're feeling quite a mix of emotions.)))
"Tonight's the night when we forget about the deadlines... it's time"
(((Just for tonight, forget about work and deadlines just like a 22 year old apparently does, even though it sounds more highschool if anything.)))
"I don't know about you but I'm feeling 22"
(((She's feeling like a 22 year old. Young and free.)))
"Everything will be alright if you keep me next to you"
(((You're alright, as long as you're with your new stranger, hipster dressing lover.)))
"You don't know about me but I bet you want to"
(((You're a stranger. I know you don't know me, but you know you want this. I'm not at all arrogant.)))
"Everything will be alright if we just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
(((Just keep dancing like we're 22 years old. At this point most people are thinking Taylor swift seems a lot older than they thought she was if she's that much older than 22.)))
"It seems like one of those nights"
(((One of those nights to dance like your 22, dress up like a hipster, and eat breakfast at midnight with your new stranger lover.)))
"This place is too crowded too many cool kids"
(((Too many cool 'kids', this seriously sounds like highschool to me, maybe she's actually younger than I thought and pretending to be older for a night. Or she's really old and referring to 22 year olds as 'kids' and 'youngsters')))
"It seems like one of those nights"
(((One of those stranger lovin' nights.)))
"We ditch the whole scene and end up dreaming instead of sleeping"
(((Life is like a dream, who needs sleep? Might be drugs or a lack of sleep talking. OR dreaming is some kind of slang for getting it on with a stranger lover)))
"We're happy free confused and lonely in the best way... It's miserable and magical"
(((Still a mix of emotions.)))
"Tonight's the night when we forget about the heartbreaks, it's time"
(((Heartbreaks. We all know she has had plenty of those. How could you not?)))
"It feels like one of those nights
We ditch the whole scene
It feels like one of those nights
We won't be sleeping"
(((Won't be sleeping, just be freaking.)))
"It feels like one of those nights
You look like bad news I gotta have you, I gotta have you"
((('You look like you've been with a million girls and break the law regularly and are really bad news and just speaking with you will probably land me a life sentence in prison... Let's go back to my place.' No wonder all the heartbreaks she goes through.)

Overall, this is a song about having fun. Whether you're old or young just have fun like your twenty-two even though you actually will be one day or you'll never be again. It's sort of like "part 2" of her song 15, if you will. Perhaps one day we'll see a "78" song as well.

It's about forgetting everything and just living in the moment having fun with your friends

she felt like 22 was her favorite age, doing so many fun things with her freinds, being slightly crazy in the process. so i think it is about everything that she did that was fun when she was 22.

22 is about when you are older and you go out on the dancefloor feeling like you are 22
You look like bad news, I gotta have you is saying should I have my last drink or shot.

********

A/N-Hellow Bellows!i have added Taylor's point of view on all too well so check it out!
Ily.