Chapter 1 The Bonding

It was another humid morning in Kentwood, Louisiana, and the birds sang especially loud and cheerful today. Astraesa felt very cheerful today. It was not very common for her but nothing could dampen her mood today as she was going to be bonded with her mate. She wasn't the prettiest werewolf around but she had high hopes for today. Hoping that she could finally receive some love in her oh so grim life.

She merily walked downstairs to the kitchen, creating an almost melodic drumming sound with her heavy footsteps. Astraea inhaled deeply, taking in the sweet waft of her morning breakfast. Dorothy, Astraea's mother, was in the process of making her daughter's favourite breakfast, an omelette with juicy pieces of rabbit and a side of deer meat.

"Morning ma!" she shouted, frightening her, which worked well as she flew a spoon after her.

" Don't scare me like that Astraea! So..... are you ready for the big day... finding your mate!" Mrs Hayes said eagerly asking her daughter this pondering question.

"Of course I am, I've been dreaming of this moment for like forever. I miss my mate already." she exclaimed, while devouring what was left of my breakfast.

Oh yeah I forgot to introduce myself... well my name is Astraea Hayes. I'm a sophomore at Silver View High and let's just say I'm ready to leave. I enjoy swimming and catching fireflies. I have a weird interest towards them. I don't know why.

As if on cue, Astraea heard the familiar honk of Luella's car and headed to the door. She couldn't say bye to her father as it's Monday and he stays in bed sleeping all day. When Astraea and Luella arrived at school, Luella got her usual morning dose of compliments from all the boys in the hallway. Astraea was not jealous because she was finally getting her mate today. At school she is constantly bullied by the pack leader Boone Orson and other members of the pack. Boone is your typical alpha male werewolf, extremely aggressive, loud and a little bit psychotic. The Dark Blue Moon Pack is THE strongest pack in the Eastern Division.

In an effort to blend into the massive crowd, Astraea accidentally bumped into someone. Instantly, she noticed the sweet aroma of someone, her mate. She eagerly looked up, waiting to see who her mate was, only to see that it was Boone, the alpha of the pack. Astraea felt elated at the thought that the bullying and the abuse will come to an end. After growling "mate", Boone forcefully pulled Astraea into the janitor's closet locking the door behind him. She then felt a hot stinging sensation on her face. The impact, feeling instantly hot to the touch, leaving Boone's handprint on her left cheek.

"Who the hell do you think you are, you mutt!" he shouted, his voice practically bubbling with anger. Although they were in the closet you could practically see the fumes coming out from him. His face, red hot with anger. "Who in their right mind would want a mate like you! An ugly, worthless, weak, unattractive mongrel." Boone said in a menacing voice. The deep sinister bass in his voice sent shivers down Astraea's spine, evoking all past traumas that she experienced with him. As she began to ascend from the floor, Boone gave her a huge blow to the stomach, making her almost blackout from the pain.

For the remaining hours of the day she cried silently in the closet and came to a conclusion that 'my mate doesn't want me.'

Part 2

As Astraea opened the door she realized there were suitcases layed out, filled to the brim with clothing for every season. She was very perplexed by this but continued. "Ma I'm home!" she shouted in her habitual manner. "In here sweetie!" her mother yelled almost instinctively. Astraea then followed her mother's voice to the living room, almost tripping over the vast amount of suitcases on the floor. "Have a seat," Mrs. Hayes said in a relaxed tone. Astraea was nervous about this as it wasn't like her mother to be so at ease.

She took a short pause to compose herself and began, "Your dad and I are going abroad for business"

"Yay, so when exactly are we moving then." Astraea exclaimed brightly, already fantasizing about her new life without her abusive classmates. I can't wait to leave this nightmare of a town, she thought.

"Oh honey, you 're not going anywhere, you will be staying here with your brother. Thankfully you will have Luella to keep you company" Mrs. Hayes uttered soothingly. ."You're going to be staying at the pack house," she says as she continues packing her suitcase.

"No mom, nooo. Do you really have to go?" Astraea stammered, as tears welled up in her eyes. ."Yes, we have been planning this for months sweetie." her mother said with a motherly tone. "Pleaseeee mommy, pleaseee don't leave me here" Astraea cried, tears gushing down her face like an exploded dam.

As Mrs Hayes calmed Astraea down, the taxi pulled up to the house. They said their goodbyes and almost immediately, Trevor drove up with his beat up 1978 Chevy pickup truck. To tell the truth Astraea and her brother did not get along very well. One day they were best friends but now it's like he doesn't like her. The worst part is that he knows that his sister is being bullied and beaten up everyday by the pack but he just sits and watches, never intervening or standing up for her.

The ride to the pack house was stifling, the atmosphere was unbearable as my brother was completely ignoring me. Astraea watched the forest trees through the car window, accepting my new life in the Dark Blue Moon Pack.