19

"How do I look babe?" I asked Joe from the bathroom of our hotel room.

"Wonderful." He hummed, jumping up on the counter next to me.

"Thank you." I mumbled, kissing his jaw.

"Don't move!" I said and he froze.

"Why?"

"I have to do my eyeliner. Don't make any sudden movements." I said, grabbing my eyeliner tube.

I leaned really close to the mirror and very slowly did my eyeliner.

"Oh my god, it's perfect. Where's my award?" I said, causing Joe to laugh.

"You're such a weirdo. Are you ready now?" He asked, hopping off the counter and grabbing his jersey that was hanging on the door.

"Well, you're not. But I am." I said and he faked laughed.

I walked over towards him and buttoned up his jersey. "There, perfect."

He placed a hand on either side of my head. "I love you."

I stood on my tippy toes and kissed him. "I love you too."

"You guys ready?" Buster voice caught our attention. 

"Yeah. One second." I called, slipping away from Joe and stepping over to the counter, spraying perfume on.

I walked out to where the boys were and pulled on my shoes. "Ready?"

"Yep. Let's go." Buster said and Joe and I followed behind, locking the door behind me.

___________

"Come on," I wined to Bryce Harper. "Let me put your hair in a bun."

"Fine." He gave in and I cheered. I stood up and walked over to him, grabbing his hair in my hand.

I saw Joe mad dogging him and I kicked him lightly.

"Stop." I said quietly and he huffed before turning his attention back to the field.

"There." I said, tying the hair tie around his hair. "You look adorable."

He looked towards the boys and they started laughing.

"Don't be mean. I think he looks cute." I said, smiling at the little bun on his head.

Joe cleared his throat and I rolled my eyes before leaning into him. "But of course my baby is cuter."

"Awe. Is little Joe jealous?" Brandon cooed, earning a glare from Joe.

He ignored them and went back to watching the Home Run Derby.

"Brandon, has Jalynne ever put your hair in a bun?" I asked and his eyes got wide.

"No.." He said and Jalynne started smiling.

"Oops." I said, turning back towards Joe but he was gone.

"Where'd he go?" I asked Bryce.

"I don't know. I asked him and he ignored me." He said and I sighed.

"Did he look mad?" I asked, standing up.

He shrugged and I raised my eyebrows, taking in a deep breath.

I headed towards the dugout, sneaking past a few players and down into the clubhouse.

I poked around until I finally found him.

"Joe," I said and he ignored me.

"Babe," I put a hand on his back and flinched away.

"Just leave." He said quietly.

"Joe," I started to walk towards him.

"Ella, just leave! I want to be alone!" He yelled and I backed away, nodding slowly.

I left the clubhouse, storming up the steps, wiping my cheeks and ignored everyone's stares.

"Woah, Ella." Kris Bryant stopped me. "You ok?"

"I'm fine Kris, thanks. Can I just get back to them?" I asked and he nodded.

"Wait," I turned around to look at him. "If you need someone, you know, outside the team, you can always talk to me."

"Thank you." I gave him a small smile before sniffing and walking back over to the boys.

"Ella! Are you ok?" Madison asked.

"Joe's angry at me. I don't know why, but he is. I couldn't even talk to him." I said, wiping my eyes.

"Hey, I'll go talk to him." Buster announced, standing up.

"Thank you." I said almost silently.

"Hey, no problem." He gave me a quick hug. "You're like a sister."

I smiled, grateful at him before sitting in the chair next to Bryce.

"Did I do something?" He asked, looking over at me.

"No!" I said. "No this isn't your fault. He doesn't like the idea of people he doesn't really know around me."

"Why?" He asked and I chewed on the inside of my lip.

"Just.. something that happened a while back." I said and he nodded, understanding and looking back at the field.

I wiped my face one more time.

"Hey, it'll be alright. He'll get over it." Madison said and I smiled. He pulled me into his side, giving me a small hug.

My phone vibrated in my lap.

Busterr👯
He wants you to come down here.

I stood up and walked back over there, thanking Buster as I passed him.

I pushed the door open to the clubhouse. "Joe?" 

I saw him and went and sat by him. "Baby, what's got you so upset?"

"I don't trust them." He said.

"Bryce?" I asked confused.

"Other people in general. You never know with some of these guys." He said.

"You mean some of the players? Joe I would never do that to you."

"I see the way these guys look at you Ella. Most these guys, have way more offer you. More experience, nicer houses, anything you want. They're all better than me. Don't you see that? If they really wanted you, they could probably get you. I just don't see why you choose me." He said.

"You're an idiot, you know that?"

"How so?" He asked, looking over at me.

"Do you honestly think if I wanted any of them, I'd be sitting here with you? Probably not."

"Oh that reassures me." He said sarcastically.

"You're the that I want. I'd bust out in song and tell you but I'd need some back up." I said and he laughed lightly. "Baby, none of these boys could treat me better than you. You treat me like a queen and that's all I want. For someone to treat me right. I wouldn't care if you had no rings, didn't even have this job. I'd be with you through it all. Sitting right by your side and no one else's. Trust me."

"And I don't want a nicer house. I want our house. And I want our team. I want you. I want to be with you for the rest of my life and no one else. I want a family with you. I want to grow old with you. You're everything I could ask for. I don't see the way other men look at me. You're the only person I see. I don't care if someone could get me anything in the world, what we have is real. No one else could ever top this."

"And Joe, you're saying most these guys have more experience than you, but aren't you guys all sitting here together?"

"You know what?" He said.

"What?" I asked, sitting on the ground in front of him.

"I love you so much."

I smiled and reached my hands up, placing them on either side of his head and pulling his head down to me.

I gave him a soft kiss before leaning my forehead against his. "I love you too."