Richard Whitlock

Blind rage surged through me and assured me that I was still alive, and that I was still able to feel something else beside grief.

Richard Whitlock bluntly lied to me and tried to deceive me, robbing Jasper and me of his well-earned wealth. There was such a law indeed, but Richard had forgotten to mention that this law only came into action in case there was no closer family, or if the wife decided to abandon the inheritance.

"Bad news?" Susan asked, and I only noticed now that she was still standing there.

"In a way, yes. But I do not intend on letting them affect us." I replied grimly and pulled out parchment, quill and ink. Not with me, Richard Whitlock.

I did without a formal greeting.

Richard Whitlock,

do not mistake me for a ignorant woman who knows nothing of this world. I would have believed you knew your brother better than judging him to marry an obedient lady.

I will not let you take my rightful inheritance from me. We both are aware of the fact that my husband's wealth will solely fall into my hands, and that I do not depend on your family's mercy. I will not ever leave this house, and I would advise you to save your money and not call a solicitor, for you are bound to lose.

Should you decide to fight for Jasper's wealth, then be assured that I will not give it up. It is my children's and my own rightful inheritance.

It surprises me you address me concerning your distanced brother's legacy. You must be quite desperate for money indeed that you quarrel like fishmonger's wife for my husband's money, which you know is mine.

Yours sincerely,

Georgiana Whitlock

The ink nearly blotted towards the end, with the ferocity I wrote. I knew that I had just brought up a powerful family against me, and I was standing alone against all of them. But it didn't matter who was powerful, not anymore now that the Confederates were defeated.

I leaned back and rubbed my eyes, feeling a headache coming on. I did not even dare imagine how blissful my life would be if my husband were still alive.

Somehow I sometimes still felt as if he were still alive, somewhere out there... But then I called myself silly and delusional.

No P.O.V.

She had made the right decision in Changing him. He was the very man for her. His ability to manipulate the feelings of others served her more than well, and her influence was quickly growing.

The only thing that annoyed her was that he would not even glance at her with anything but a soldier's eyes, waiting for the next orders. She longed for him to be her lover, but she sensed that there was somebody who held his heart.

She would find out who, and then eliminate her so Jasper Whitlock's heart would be free for her.

Georgiana's P.O.V.

"Mrs Whitlock, the storm has broken a window upstairs. It will have to be repaired." Susan said when I entered the kitchen for breakfast the next day. When slavery had been abolished, I had expected Robert, Susan and all the other slaves to rejoice and leave with a happy song on their lips. But they had stayed, and I was so glad for it that I thanked them every day, and payed them well even though there was little money enough.

"More costs yet." I grind my teeth. Richard Whitlock had not surceased the pursuit of Jasper's inheritance, as he had told me in an enraged letter, and as long as there was the struggle going on, I could not access the money.