Chapter Two

[Two]

*Mae*

September 13, 2036

I stand before Lucas, staring at him with a blank expression as he tries desperately to avoid my gaze. I do well to ensure he does not, however. He will look at me, see that the Moon goddess does not make mistakes, and that we are destined to be mates.

Rejecting each other would be a grave mistake.

"I will not reject you." I declare. Lucas's eyes flicker over to Grant, his expression hard and angry.

"Lucas says that he does not want you."

"He came looking for his mate! Well, here I am!" I holler, lifting my arms up at my sides. Lucas turns and walks towards me, placing a hand at the crook of my neck, his thumb pressed against my throat.

I struggle to breathe, glaring at him for doing this. But he is angry, hurt, tormented.

"He claims it was a mistake to ever come seek you. The Cipher pack doesn't need a Luna." Grant says. I look over at him, wishing that he didn't have to stand here and be an owl for us. But the only way to speak to Lucas is to be marked by him. And at this rate, that won't be happening any time soon.

I blow out a frustrated sigh and push on Lucas's chest. "You will not touch me in such a cruel manner. I don't care if you regret finding me. I was taught at a young age to bless every day and everything you are given. My family is bathed and born from bloodshed, just as you were. I know what you went through and I know that you are still haunted. But I will not reject you because I do not so easily throw away the blessings that are given to me."

I release a deep breath and watch Lucas, daring him to give me another comment of rejection. I swear I will attack him here and now if he does. The Moon goddess doesn't make mistakes.

Lucas looks over at Grant and nods his head, telling him to leave. I stare after Grant...

Well, how are we supposed to communicate?

Ooooh.... He doesn't mean to.

I look back to see Lucas sitting in his chair again so I walk over and take a seat on the ground next to him, staring at the fire.

"Beautiful day, don't you think?" I say, a smile playing on my lips. "The weather lately has been so crappy. All this rain and the bloody heat. It's killing me. I'm excited for winter though. When the snow is on the ground, you can barely see my wolf. I blend right in." I turn, sitting on my knees as I look up at him. "No one can see me, I am lucid and sly. The deer don't stand a chance." I cross my arms. "I bet you have a handsome wolf. Dark gray? Black?"

"Whichever it is, I am sure I will see if soon. Did you know that wolves only mate once? That if their mate dies, the wolf will detach from the pack and they will wander alone until they die. Sad, isn't it? That's also what happens when a werewolf is rejected. Is that what you want?" Lucas's eyes meet mine. I shrug. "Hey, don't worry. I can talk enough for the both of us."

And so I do. I ramble on about my favorite Disney movie, what music I like to listen to, my most embarrassing secret. And I notice his posture change from rigid to relax. I even see him smile a few times as I babble.

His smile sparks accomplishment in the pit of my stomach. I could live off of his smile. I will work everyday to see him smile.

Lucas closes his eyes in the middle of my story about how I fell down the stairs and broke my arm. When it came to an end, he lifted his head and leaned over so his face was only a few inches from mine. His doe eyes stare into my soul, searchingly.