Chapter 9

"Alright, Lucy! It's your turn to step out and do the reel!"

We have 15 minutes left until we're going to go watch the Champ class. Razz started out the class warming us up and stretching us and everything. Then we did our Light Jigs, and then Razz taught us a new dance: the Reel. Now it's my turn to do the reel. The music starts and I point my foot the way Razz showed me. Then I start. "Up 2,3,4,5 point hop back hop back 2,3,4!" Razz yells out the steps and the moves and I try to dance to the music the way she showed us. When I finish the two steps, Razz gives me a high five. "That was great, Lucy! You nailed everything! Just make sure you turn out you feet and cross your legs extra!" Then she turned to the rest of the class and said, "Do you all see how Lucy kept her arms glued to her sides? That's how you guys should all do it too!" Wow. I didn't even remember or pay attention to my arms. I kinda just focused on the dancing part. But apparently not paying attention to my arms worked. Razz said to work on my turnout and cross but I don't really care. I'm just here to get through the class, not to improve or anything because I couldn't care less about dance.

I walk to the back of the room where the rest of the class is standing. I find a spot next to Chloe. "Good job, Lucy!" Chloe exclaims.
"Thanks Chlo." I say. We can't talk any longer because it's Chloe's turn to do the reel. I find myself next to Olivia, and she says, "You did really well, Lucy, considering you just started."
"Thanks!" I say. We chat for a few moments before Olivia just stops and says, "Woah, she's amazing!" I turn to see who she's talking about and realize that it's Chloe. She is good. Her jig looked really good too, but she told me she had been practicing it and doing it all around the house.

When Chloe comes back after her reel, Olivia turns to her and says, "Chloe, you're unreal! You were so good!"
"Aw thanks, but it wasn't as good as yours!" Chloe says. Just then Razz stops the music. "Did everyone just watch Chloe dance?" We all nod. "Good, because she just did the reel almost perfectly! That's how I want ALL of you to do it! Don't say you can't! You just have to go home and practice it over and over until it looks amazing!" Chloe was beaming ear and to ear. I feel like the warm feeling I had from praise I had just gotten disappeared in a second. Everybody was saying how amazing Chloe was! Sure she was good, but I didn't think she was ALL that.

After everybody finishes doing their reel, Razz stops the music. "I'm going to take all of you to see the Prelim and Open a Champs practicing. They're just in Studio A, so it's right down the hall. You girls can leave your stuff here." Then she leads us all down the hall and we talk to each other about what we are expecting to see in the class.
"I heard their teacher is really mean."
"Yeah I heard she yells a lot."
"Yesterday she made a girl cry."
"Really?! I didn't hear that..."
As soon as Razz opens the door to Studio A, we fall silent. We walk in and hear yelling and loud banging and loud music. Just then the music stops, and Anne walks over. "Welcome to the Prelim and Open Champ class!"