Chapter 5: An Interesting Theory

Start from the beginning

I ran a hand through my hair and thought about it some more. Malfoy wouldn't have cared if he got detention for leaving me on the stairs. He loathed me and vice versa. Why did he save me? He must have some motive for making sure I was alright. Maybe it was because I started ranting about his father and it made him curious. The thought made me wince as I thought of how badly I lost control of my temper. I didn't mean to start screaming at him like that, but I just got so infuriated with him and the hatred I felt for his father as well kind of mixed together and boiled over.

Time was going by so slow, but it didn't really bother me. It gave me plenty of time to clear my head and focus on what I was going to do. 1-attempt peace with Draco again, 2-catch back up on my studies, and 3-focus on not getting angry again. I hate it when I'm angry. I do say things that I don't mean and I regret them afterwards.

Sometimes I wonder if I was meant to be placed in Hufflepuff, not Ravenclaw. But thinking back to the day when the Sorting Hat sat on my head, I cringed a bit. That was a long debate and one that I liked to pretend didn't happen. But sadly, I'll never forget what the Sorting Hat told me that day. I've made it through five years and I'm working on the sixth, so hopefully nothing too bad can happen in two years.

Madam Pomfrey brought me some lunch, to which I thanked her gratefully before chowing down. I felt as if I hadn't eaten in ages. I know it's really only been a day, but it feels like a long time.

I was just putting the tray that held my food to the side whenever the hospital wing doors opened again, revealing Draco. He walked up to me and held out his hand, which held parchment from my class. I gave him a grateful smile and took it from him, setting it on my lap. "Thank you so much, Draco." I say and he huffs. "It took long enough for her to give it to me." he grumbles and I try not to laugh.

"You can't rush a teacher, Draco." I say and he rolls his eyes. "Regretfully." he says and I pause, deciding whether or not to ask him my question I had from before. Knowing that I would regret it later if I didn't ask, I puckered up the courage and looked at him. "Why did you really save me?" I ask, the question catching him off guard. He blinks a few times before shaking his head at me.

"You must be insane if you think I saved you for any other reason." he says and I frown. "Am I? I feel like you have an ulterior motive for saving me." I say and he smirks, crossing his arms. "And what is this motive, may I ask?" he questions and I shrug my shoulders.

"To make sure I was still here for you to torture." I say and he actually laughs at my response. "That's ridiculous. I'd still make fun of you even if I didn't save you." he says and I sigh. "I was afraid of that." I murmur and his smirk disappears and he gives me a hard stare. I look at him curiously, watching as his eyebrows furrowed down slightly.

"I saved you because I felt guilty. I heard your scream from the tower and I looked out to see you start tumbling down. When I reached you, you were already unconscious and your head was bleeding horribly. But...you still had tears running down your face and for some stupid reason it made me feel guilty. So I brought you here to make sure they could fix you up. To make sure I didn't permanently screw up." he says lowly and I stare at him in both awe and disbelief. "Thank you, Draco." I whisper and he scoffs, looking away from me.

"I don't know what got into me. I'll probably regret it later." he says and I frown. "Why regret it? Can't we just call a truce right here? We've both yelled at one another enough to last the rest of the year. Isn't that good enough?" I ask and he looks at me, a small smirk growing on his face. "You don't get it, do you Crowe?" he asks and I tilt my head to the side.

"Get what?" I ask and he chuckles, shaking his head. "I won't stop. Call me an arse or whatever you like, but it's just who I am." he says and I give him a small glare. "Yet you have it in you to care for someone enough to save their life." I retort and he rolls his eyes. "A mistake I won't make again." he says and I feel myself getting angry, but stop myself before I say anything else.