The Hunt

I was shaken awake by Harri, who was kneeling my bedside.

"It's nearly breakfast, c'mon, you'll need all the energy you can get..." There was a strange tenseness in the room, it clung to everyone and weighed them down. It then struck me that it was the day of the hunt, and it seemed now that the tenseness had engulfed me too.

It was too quiet, but no one wanted to break the silence. We changed into our PT kits, knowing that later we would be wearing something more appropriate for the hunt. The PT kit was suffocating me, and all I wanted to do was tear it off. 

Harri noticed me tugging at my shirt, and asked me if I was alright. I told him that I wasn't. I never will be, ever again.

"Listen. After this has ended we'll stay together, and I will make sure you are alright," he told me softly. Tears were already brimming my eyes, I didn't quite fully comprehend everything Harri said, it all just got mixed up with all my other thoughts.

"Ok," was all I said. I didn't know what to reply with, my mouth felt numb. My whole body, my whole mind felt numb.

"Let's go to breakfast," Harri took my shaking hand in his steady one. He was so brave, despite the circumstances he had never left me. He was always there for me, however unco-operative I was.

"Thank you, for everything," I muttered to him as we walked slowly through the corridors.

"Why are you thanking me?" He stopped, but never let go of my hand.

"Because you've helped me, you've never left my side no matter what. You've been so brave, Harri, so very brave." I gently placed my hand on his cheek, it was so warm. So comforting. "I don't think I could ever repay you."

"You don't need to repay me," he whispered, closing his eyes momentarily. When he opened his eyes again, I could just begin to see the life begin to grow again. I was so happy, for his sake, that it was nearly over. He leaned down and kissed me. "Let's go to breakfast, shall we?" My body felt lighter now, and it shocked me how one action seemed to make me feel just a little alright.

"Yeah."

By the time we had arrived at breakfast, nearly everyone was already seated and waiting for food. Vaseva and Rhys had saved seats for me and Harri.

"Hey," I hugged Vaseva as I sat down.

"Hey, you alright Tabs?"

"Yeah, I suppose. You alright?" I asked in return.

"Suppose, not particularly looking forward to this hunt but... What can I say? Afterwards we'll be free." It was then that they called our table up to get food. It wasn't the best, nor was it the worst. I couldn't complain.

After breakfast, we all headed to the meeting room, where we were supposedly going to have another quick brief. By then, I just wanted to get it all over and done with.

I sat next to Harri, with Lennon on my other side. Lennon had stopped making funny quips to lighten the mood. Instead, he just sat there, blank-faced and staring into the distance.

I wondered if he will ever be the same again. If any of us will ever be the same.

Mr Ford started talking, explaining to us that we were to report at 1400 hours after lunch to prepare for the hunt. And, with all being well, we would set out at 1445 hours. It would be about an hours journey to the zone, and from there, we would be set loose. Following the vague plan we had been given. Me and Harri requested to work together, to ensure each other's safety. They thankfully allowed it.

By the time the brief was over, we only had about an hour until lunch. I asked if I was allowed outside, in the vague hope of getting some sort of fresh air to calm my nerves. The guard standing by the exit was reluctant at first, but then let me out, but only on the condition that Harri would be with me and we would stay within sight.