10. Maki and Naoto in Kichijo-ji

Three days before Naoto was murdered, Maki had run into him in town of Kichijo-ji. Maki was coming down from the train platform and Naoto was climbing up the stairs trying to catch the train that had just arrived. Maki was wearing a 3" platform shoes which she wasn't used to, so she was watching her step and didn't see Naoto. Naoto was carrying his Akai 49-key MIDI keyboard and had backpack on. 
"Hey, Maki...What are you up to? You have a date with someone?" He looks at her platform shoes which he'd never seen her wear.
"Hi, Nao...Aren't you gonna catch that train?"
"No...I've changed my mind...I heard the bell, so I started rushing but I'm not in a hurry...it's a reflex thing," replies Naoto and then asks, "Are you hungry? You wanna grab some noodles?" Maki thinks for a second and says,"I have a hair appointment at 2 and I have some errands to run but...I have some time."
"Good...Let's go eat!"
They both starts heading down the stairs, but Maki almost falls from trying to match his pace, so Naoto grabs her arm and walks with her until they reach the ground. Maki is surprised by his gesture, and it makes her feel tingly inside. They walk into a noodle shop inside the station. Maki orders Kitsune Udon and extra fried tofu, Naoto gets Curry Udon. The server brings them two cold roasted barley teas which Naoto finishes in one gulp and tells the server "One more please." as Maki stares at Naoto's adam's apple.
"Were you at the studio today?" she asks.
"Yeah...We got into the studio at eleven last night and rehearsed until seven this morning" 
"So you didn't sleep at all last night?"
"Not really...after the practice, I played poker for few hours but I was crashing so I left."
"Nao...Are you still gambling?" Maki has a concerned look on her face.
"Not really...I was just hanging out with my friends," he pauses then adds, "Hey...your birthday is coming up...Make sure not to plan anything on Saturday night, I have a big surprise."
"Haven't I told you that I'm flying to America on 12th?"
"Oh...I totally forgot about that." Naoto looks disappointed.
"You should come with me...It'll be fun"
"I appreciate your invitation, but I don't even have a passport, besides I can't miss the rehearsals."
"That's too bad...After I finish my mission, I'm planning to buy a cheap car and then go on a cross country trip. We could stop at Paris, Texas or even drive all the way south to Marfa and visit the fake Prada store..."
"That sounds like lot of fun...We should plan that for next year," says Naoto.
"Ok, next year.." Maki is satisfied. 
"You know...I've been thinking..." Naoto starts and pauses as if he wasn't sure but then continues, "Sometimes I wish I could have at least three girlfriends...I know it's not fair for the girls to share a same guy but what do you think?"
Maki is not sure what to say and keeps eating her noodles, so he continues, "Wouldn't be nice if you could leave as many offsprings as you wanted on this planet?  What if it was totally legal to do that?" Maki looks at his face, dumbfounded.
"I don't think you'd get arrested for sleeping with many girls and have babies with them, but that'd be a total nightmare" says Maki bluntly and adds "Are you staring at my legs? I DO wear shorts and heels sometimes, so get used to it..."
"I wasn't staring at your legs...You should dress like that more often," teases Naoto.
"That's none of your business, how I dress." Naoko pouts and steals a piece of beef from his bowl with her chopsticks.
"I was saving that for last!" Naoto deflates.
"How are you and Erika?" Maki asks.
"We're good. I'll be staying at her place for few days 'cause her parents are going to Izu."
Maki takes out a small planner from her shoulder bag and writes a phone number on a blank page.
"I'll be at this number...Actually, I don't know, the number belongs to my friend, but I think you can reach me if you want." She hands him the slip. "Do you wanna have a baby with me too?" she asks half-seriously.
"Sure, why not?"
Maki stares up at him to see whether he's serious.
"Well, I'm into monogamous relationship, so good luck with your grand plan." Maki says cynically.
They leave the noodle shop and before Naoto starts going up the stairs, He says, "Hey, bring me something from Texas or Arizona...anything...It could be a rock... or dirt..."
"I will...I'm sure I'll find something. I'll see you when I get back," Maki says.
Naoto nods and starts climbing up the stairs. Maki watches him for a while but before he disappears onto the platform, she calls out "Nao!"
Naoto looks back and pauses, disrupting the flow of traffic around him. "What?" he asks. She looks at him directly and gives him an air kiss. Naoto pretends like he's catching it and raises his arm one more time then blends into the oncoming crowd.