Chapter Three

Touka was making her way (downtown, walking fast, jk sorry) back to Anteiku and although it was very dark she was having no trouble at all finding her way. She'd been around the area so many times she could probably do it with her eyes closed, but right now her eyes were anything but closed. They were wide open and beaming, just like her smile which she had given up trying to suppress. Most of the time Touka didn't like to show her happiness but because she was alone and it was very hard to stop it she just let herself smile. She didn't know why Kaneki, of all people, could make her be so happy. It didn't seem right to her, just some random pathetic guy who was suddenly thrown into her life, then when she was just starting to get to know him he had left her and everyone else. That was the last kind of person Touka thought she'd like being around so much, but there was something about him that compelled her to want to spend time with him and she didn't know what it was.

Touka continued walking until she reached the front doors of Anteiku. She pushed the doors open to see Hinami sitting at a table drinking coffee in the darkness. "Hinami-chan, what are you doing? It's the middle of the night." Touka asked as she walked in.

Hinami looked up from her coffee, surprised to see Touka. "I could ask you the same thing, Onee-chan." Hinami replied with sleepiness in her voice, "I had a scary dream and when I went to look for you, you weren't there. I didn't want to go back to sleep so I thought I'd just drink some coffee."

Touka walked over to the table Hinami was at and sat down in the seat in front of her. "O-oh, sorry. I just went out for a little walk." Touka said, she felt guilty she wasn't there for Hinami, no doubt the dream had something to do with her parents.

"But, why so late? It's one in the morning." She asked.

"I couldn't sleep, alright?" Touka replied a bit harsher than she wanted to, but she was hoping Hinami wouldn't pry into her business, "Sorry, I just don't want to talk about it.."

"Oh, okay.." Hinami said softly.

Touka was relived. They both just sat there for a while, not saying anything. Touka felt a wave of tiredness wash over her and she yawned. "Are you tired?" Hinami asked, "You don't have to say up with me, you should go to sleep."

"But won't you be lonely? And there's no way you'd be able to go back to sleep after drinking that," Touka said, gesturing toward her coffee.

"It's alright, I can stay up and read." She responded brightly, "Besides, you really need your sleep. You do have work in the morning after all, I'll be fine."

"If you're sure," Touka said as she placed her hand on the table and used it as leverage to stand up in her tired state, "Alright, have a nice time reading."

She smiled at Hinami as she turned away and walked off. "Goodnight." Touka said.

"Goodnight, Onee-chan," Hinami waved her off.

Touka walked back up to her apartment on top of Anteiku and as soon as she got inside she just face planted onto her bed and let out a loud sigh. She was so tired she didn't bother changing back into her pajamas. Touka fell asleep almost immediately knowing well that she would regret not getting enough sleep tomorrow.

(A/N): Okay, okay, I know this chapter is a lot shorter than the other two, but cut me some slack I just needed a little filler chapter and I'm gonna get back to better things next one. Thanks for reading.