The Girl Next Door... Chapter 3

9 years later-

Tom-

I stared out the window of my mother’s car, I can remember when I used to stare out the window as a child, I always remembered my mother telling me that if I looked close enough I might be able to father in heaven. I can’t believe how silly I was to believe her, I think about it now and realise how many hours of my precious time I wasted on staring out the window.

The car slowly started to stop, I quickly checked my tie. Today was the big day, the day I was getting married to my childhood sweetheart…

Emily.

Emily-

‘‘Are you sure you still want to go through with this? You’re not having any second thoughts are you?’’ my mother asked me. I looked in the small mirror I had in my handbag and made sure my hair had not fallen flat. I could see my father tearing up in the review mirror; he was such an emotional person and today was not helping anything.

‘‘Why would I have second thoughts?’’ I asked her smiling ‘‘Tom means everything to me.’’ I told my mother.  She smiled at me before opening the door and getting out.

‘‘That’s my girl, Emily.’’ My dad proclaimed wiping the tears from his eyes. Mother then opened the car door; I placed one of my white stilettos on the hard pavement. The day was a bright and sunny August day with no clouds in the sky, it reminded me a lot of when I first moved to Tinsbury, it was such an overwhelming day but I wouldn’t have changed it for the world. I smiled to myself before lifting my heavy dress out of my father’s old car that he had since I was a little girl, it didn’t run as well as it used to but it was something special that my father held close to his heart.

‘‘How do I look?’’ I asked my mother.

‘‘Beautiful dear, you look so grown up’’ She told me. I laughed,

‘‘Mother I’m 22 not 13!’’ I exclaimed. She looked at me a grinned before getting her camera out of her bag.

‘‘I remember when you were 13 like it was yesterday-David quick take a photo of me and our special little girl.’’ She shouted to my father as he ran and grabbed the camera.

‘‘Quick I’ve put it on timer, everyone 10 seconds remaining!’’ My father bellowed quickly running to my side. ‘‘Say cheese!’’ He shouted. I watched as he pulled the cheesiest grin you could possibly imagine.

‘‘David, stop taking pictures! If Emily doesn’t get down the aisle now then Tom’s going to think she stood him up!’’ My mother exclaimed quickly fixing my hair. We headed towards the grand entrance, I took a deep breath. This was the last time I was ever going to belong fully to my parents. The last time I was going to be just their little girl and not a wife. But I was ready for this and I have been for so long. I let out a sigh of relief and freedom from my parents and headed through the big grand entrance

Tom-

I can remember my big day well, everything was just so perfect and before I knew it everything became even better. I can remember being stood on the red carpeted aisle, I was sweating and nervous, there was the constant mutter of people all around me. My mother told me not to be nervous, she told me everything will be fine, that I know Emily too well for her just to not show up. I’d known her for 9 years to this day, and what a beautiful 9 years that was. I quickly grabbed my phone from my pocket and fixed my hair and tie in the reflection, today was a gorgeous day just like when I had first met Emily, the sun was up high, there were no clouds in the sky. Everything was perfect. I was trembling in fear; I could feel myself shaking from head to toe. Then everyone fell silent, the organ player started to play the classic ‘wedding song’, I can remember turning to face the big grand entrance and there she was, the angel called Emily, my soon to be wife…forever. I smiled the biggest smile I had ever smiled in my life, she looked so beautiful, her hair was flowing to her waist and was curled at the ends, her eyes dazzled in the sunlight shining through the windows, the tiara in her hair was just divine as it shimmered on the walls of the church, her pure white strapless wedding dress with white flowers embroidered into the top half of the dress before turning into layers on the bottom half, she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

The memories started flooding back of when we were children, of the first day I had ever met her. I sighed happily as I watched my beloved elegantly walk down the aisle. I quickly glanced at mother, she was sobbing her heart out, bless her. I watched as she mouthed ‘good luck’ and ‘your father would be so proud of you’ from her seat in the front row. My attention was quickly then drawn back to Emily. She soon arrived at the top of the altar, I held her hand before we both said our vows. I started to read a speech in the middle of the church about the first day we met, what I had thought of her and all the memories we have had since. I could see tears of happiness in her alluring, dazzling eyes, I wiped her tears, she laughed softly.

We had soon finished our vows, I remember picking her up and running with her out of the church. Everyone was screaming and laughing with joy. We stood on the steps of the church and posed for pictures before heading off in a white carriage to the registry office. Emily always wanted to feel like ‘Cinderella’ on her special day, she had always wanted to be carried off in a carriage by two magnificent white horses, so I requested just that. I don’t think I’d ever seen her happier in her life. I never wanted that moment to end.