MinaVE - Mina V. Esguerra

1. What is your favorite setting for a story?

I love going to the beach, and I think I've set stories in three different beach locations in Batangas already. That's it for now! No more Batangas beaches.

2. What is your favorite characteristic in a female character?

Intelligence. Not just being book smart or good in school, but being really passionate and good at something. One of my favorite examples of this is when I wrote a story about a high school student who's really good at army rifle drills. I enjoyed doing rifle and sword drills in school, and it was fun tapping into that again.

3. What is your favorite characteristic in a male character?

The same! Must be smart and good at something. They're always good at something.

4. If you could only have one book to read for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors collection of short stories. Will a lifetime be enough to savor each page? I don't know!

5. If you could be any character in literature, who would you want to be?

Sherlock Holmes. (Yeah, I'd be Sherlock.) The way he's been adapted into movies and TV lately has been so awesome. They should do girl Sherlock sometime.

6. If you could have dinner with any writer, living or dead, who would it be?

I won't even go into all of history and just ask for dinner with Rainbow Rowell. (I love her.)

7. Where would you take them to dinner and what would you order?

The Spiral restaurant in the Sofitel Manila! I'll have a plate of cheeses. We'll discuss the cheeses.

8. If you could write from anywhere, where would the most ideal spot be?

Rooftop cafes are lovely and always seem to work for me, day or night.

9. Who is your favorite character in literature?

Nancy Drew. So much of what I liked as a kid traces back to my discovery of that character.

10. What is your favorite name for a female and male character?

Jasmine and Zachary hold sentimental value for me. They're names from the first book of mine that was ever published, and I thought about those names a lot. I was also hanging on to Nathan and Iris for a long time, because they were in a book I didn't get to finish. I've since set the names free and used them in other books.