"Yeah, yeah, everything's cool." There's no point in telling her about Nate now that's it's all over. It would only hurt our relationship if she knew I'd disobeyed her instructions to give Nate the memory-loss potion. I picture the tiny vial labeled Forget sitting in my emergency kit and feel guilt stirring within me. I push the thought from my mind and pull my knees up to my chest. "So, what were you doing over there anyway?"

"Oh, you know." She waves a dismissive hand as she sits down again. "Boring Guild stuff. Anyway, let's get back to what's important." She places her hands on the desk and looks at me. "Your final assignment."

"Is this where the bad news and the really bad news come in?"

"Unfortunately, yes." She pauses, drumming her fingernails on the desk. "So ... first let's talk about where you'll be going. I know it's become somewhat of a tradition for fifth year students to be sent to exotic locations for their final assignments."

I nod. "Yeah, some trainees get very excited about it. Some of them have even been placing bets on where they'll be sent."

"Right," Tora says slowly. "Well, I'm afraid your assignment is a little more local."

"Local?"

"And in the human realm. No exotic fae folk for you."

"Oh. Well, humans can be interesting." I think of Nate, then remind myself, yet again, that he isn't actually human.

"Yes, but these are boring, old rich humans."

"Are they at least involved in some exciting illegal activity?"

Tora laughs. "I doubt you'll think it's exciting." She lifts the topmost page from the pile on her desk and examines it. "His name is Edgar Hart and he lives with his wife on some fancy estate—the details are here for when you need to direct the faerie paths. His children are grown up and no longer live there. He and his wife do a lot of entertaining, and it seems their guests are not all of the human variety. The reason we know this is because the daughter of one of the Seelie Queen's advisors ended up there a few days ago. She told her mother she saw a faerie from the Unseelie Court having a threatening conversation with Mr. Hart. He also gave Mr. Hart something, but she was unable to see what it was. Your assignment is to discover what object was given to him, retrieve it, and find out what he was told."

I stare at Tora. "That's it?"

"Yes."

"That sounds too straightforward. Are you sure that's all there is to it?"

"Look, Vi." Tora leans forward and rests her elbows on the desk. "Our Seers and guardians had nothing to do with this assignment. It came directly from the Seelie Court, which means the Queen has a special interest in it. That makes it very important, even if it is simple. So the Council didn't want to give it to just any pair of trainees. They wanted the best."

"So ... you're saying I should be flattered?"

"Yes."

"Okay," I say with a long sigh. "Boring, old rich people. I can do that. Oh, and are we supposed to complete the assignment without ever revealing ourselves?" I pay particular attention to that rule now. Wouldn't want to wind up suspended again.

"If you can, yes. But that rule only applies if you're revealing yourself as a magical being. If you need to pretend that you're human in order to gain information, then you may do so."

"I see." I frown. "I don't remember being told that before."

"Well, we tend not to tell trainees about that little loophole in the rule. They might take advantage of it, and it's not as though any of the training assignments ever require a human façade."