"I am quite glad to see you." Georgiana had more guts than him, as Jasper self-contemptuously realised. So he receded his defiance. "To speak honestly, Georgiana, I have missed you."

Her mouth fell slightly open at such a confession, and it was harder for her now to restrain from touching, kissing him. Luckily, he heard her silent begging and stepped closer to her, cupping her pale face in his strong, rough hand. He pulled her head tenderly towards him, and moments later their lips met in an explosive kiss.

Without having exchanged any further words, they stumbled further into the trees and loved each other on the forest floor like farmers.

...§...

1st June 1863

I believe I can finally feel happiness again! I have met Jasper yesterday! And, oh, what a meeting it's been! I still feel hot all over merely thinking about it!

He now also knows about my father's plans... He will be safe. I realize with indifference that I have once more been a treacherous whore, and these harsh words don't affect me as much as they should. I would go much further for one moment with Jasper Whitlock; it is almost like an addiction. He is the drug, and I am the addict who is willing to give anything for his next shot.

This meeting had given me hope that I might see him again... It had been possible once, why not again?

...§...

30th June 1863

I haven't seen Jasper since a month ago, but I have hopes that I might again. How and when, I do not know, I simply hope.

We are at York now, where Marianne will get married. She is very happy these days, and I can feel glad for her, too. She is a woman made for a well-situated marriage, unlike me. Anyhow, even though I can understand her joy, I really wish she would stop fussing so - she can not stop talking about children, vacations at Charleston, honeymoon and what-not. Whenever there are no men near, she also says in hushed whispers that she fears the wedding night so. Then I, fed up with her excitement, am always close to saying that she need not fear anything, it is pure pleasure, except for the little pain the next morning.

Imagine Mother's and Marianne's faces, would I truly say that!

...§...

Georgiana's P.O.V.

I sat in church, a little bored by the sheer endless sermon, and looked into nowhere. Marianne finally stood before the altar, and I hoped her unnerving blabber would stop now.

"I always thought nobody was supposed to outshine the bride."

I almost jumped up with a screech at hearing Jasper's voice directly behind my ear. Here, in the church of a Union town! With my father sitting a mere two rows before us!

After having come over my shock, I whispered while keeping my face straight and unmoved: "What are you doing here? You could get killed!"

Jasper chuckled quietly. "With all due respect, Georgiana, but even your father is not all-mighty. I doubt he even knows what I look like, let alone notice me amongst his happy, chattering wedding-guests."

"It is still dangerous for you to come here, but I will not reproach you. For one thing, because I am sure you are yourself quite aware of that fact, and for another, I am glad that you are here. How did you know..."

"...where you are? Remember I told you I would always know your whereabouts, seeing you are General Ellwood's daughter?"

I smiled, and wished I could turn around and look into Jasper's gorgeous face. "Indeed. I would not have believed you were as accurate as even knowing what building I reside in momentarily..."