Chapter Thirteen

(a few weeks later)

I work in the gardens with Newt everyday, but he still hasn't made a move. We flirt a little bit while pulling weeds, but he hasn't told me he likes me yet. As I try to fall asleep I can't stop thinking about it.

My thoughts are broken by the sound of my brother, Thomas. "Newt?" He asks.

"Tommy?" Newt responds.

"Are you awake?"

"Did you seriously just ask me if I'm awake."

"Slim it. So... do you not like y/n anymore?"

"Tommy! She's right next to us!"

"Calm down, she's asleep. Seriously though, you need to do something soon, otherwise I owe Fry a month of dish washing."

"You're placing bets?"

"Oh yeah, everyone is."

"Everyone?"

"It's been going on for weeks. I knew you wouldn't do anything right away, but I thought you would've grown a pair by now. I mean doesn't she like you too? You guys are always flirting at work and at meals and the rest of the guys know she's off limits because she's yours. You call her love. You spend all day, everyday together, you're basically a couple already. There's no way she'd say no. Come on, I can't lose this!"

"Great, we're all bloody inspired."

I can't listen anymore, I decide to speak up. "Lose what?" I ask, trying to sound like I don't already know what they're talking about.

"Just a bet," Thomas answers.

"What's the bet?"

"Nothing!" they answer in unison, Newt a little more frantically than Thomas.

"Okay then. Can you at least tell me what happens when you lose so I can laugh at you?"

Newt gives Thomas a glare, but Thomas shows almost no reaction. "Everyone in the bet who loses has to do the winners dishes for a month. Minho, Frypan, Chuck, Alby and I are in the bet. The bet was when, er..."

Thomas glances over at Newt, then continues what he was saying, "...something, would happen. Minho, Chuck, and Alby have already lost so it's just me and Fry left. I don't want the dishes so I need... the thing to happen this week."

"What's the thing?"

"It's nothing," Newt persists.

"I really can't say. If I told you it would defeat the point of the bet," says Thomas

"If you aren't going to tell me I'll just have to figure it or myself."

"And how do you plan on doing that?"

"Process of elimination. Obviously something's happening with Newt because he's the only one not betting on anything. Also you're kinda freaking out over there. You okay?"

Newt has been rocking back and forth in his hammock for a few minutes, but stops when I mention him. He looks up. "I'm doing swell," he says sarcastically.

"Just tell me! I'll find out eventually."

"You better," Thomas says, glaring at Newt.

"Tommy!"

"What? I don't want to do the dishes!"

"Okay, okay! I'll do something about it."

"Tomorrow?"

"We'll see."

"This better be good, otherwise I'll be very disappointed," I say.

"Believe me, this will not disappoint," Thomas mutters.

"As much as I love these late night conversations that make me hate Tommy even more, I'm exhausted," Newt says before lying back down.

"You need your beauty sleep, you got a big day ahead," Thomas taunts before lying down himself.

"Slim it, shank. Goodnight, love."

I curl up underneath my blankets before replying, "goodnight, Newt."