Chapter Four

The first thing I notice when we first step outside the small shack are the four gigantic walls surrounding this place. What did Newt call it? The glade?

"What-?" is all I can say.

"Thomas doesn't want to hide anything from you. I have to tell you everything," Newt says, unenthusiastically. "As I already said this is the glade. It's surrounded by those four walls..." Newt goes on and tells me all about the homestead and the jobs around the glade.

As we walked around, I noticed something quite obvious.

"Are there any other girls?" I ask.

"Um. That's the thing, we've never gotten a girl in the box until you. Sorry, love, but you're the only one."

"Oh."

"Don't worry, everything will be fine. No one will hurt you or anything. We already had a gathering about it. Anyways it's almost lunch time, do you want to meet some of the other gladers?"

"Sure."

Newt shows me where in the homestead the kitchen is.

"Y/n this is Frypan, he's the cook," Newt explains.

"Hi, I'm y/n," I say to Frypan.

"Hey, welcome to the glade," he says before pouring some tomato soup into a bowl and handing it to me.

"Thanks, Fry," Newt says after he gets his soup.

Newt leads me over to a table where Thomas and two other boys are already sitting.

"Hey guys," Thomas says.

"Y/n, this is Minho and Chuck," Newt points to an Asian boy and a curly haired kid.

"Hi," I say, sitting between Thomas and Newt. Minho and Chuck are on the other side of the table.

The boys resume their conversation. "So is my hammock still in the same place and everything?" Thomas asks.

"Yep," Minho responds. "Same old, same old."

"And I can run again?"

"Run?" I ask.