why'd you leave me?

Sunlight flashed across the girls features and her face lit up with a grin. She stood and shook off the haze of sleep, darting over to the window and glancing out. Her heart fluttered, knowing what day it was.

It was Thursday, the one day of the week in which her responsibilities were nonexistent, and she was free to do what she'd like.

She pulled up her long dark hair into a messy ponytail and threw on an outfit. Beaming, she practically flew down the stairs, slipped on some shoes and ran outside. The summer air felt like a burst of joy in her lungs, and she raced down the path without glancing back at the old yellow house behind her.

Trees the same shade of emerald the girls blouse towered above her and acted as milestones on her path. The stiff gravel crunched beneath her feet as she reached her destination.

A clearing was spread in front of her, a wide stream cutting a path through the woods. A large rock sat in the creek, grey blue markings popping in the forest of green. She stripped off her shoes and stepped into the cool water, the chill sinking into her skin and abolishing the summer heat. She carefully walked to the boulder.

Upon reaching her spot, a series of white markings contrasted against the dull rock. Inscribed on the stone with chalk were the words, "Paradise" with a minuscule "H and L, bffs" below it. The girl grinned and hoisted her foot into a nook, forcing her way up the cool rock.

She sat perched on top like a bird, her light frame seemingly about to take flight. She closed her eyes and thought about the special spot she used to venture to with her best friend, but now went alone.

Hadley had been Liam's best friend for years, and every Thursday, they would go out to their little Paradise, the rock in the woods. There was never anything romantic between them, but there was an absolutely amazing bond. They were like Bonnie and Clyde, absolutely inseparable.

Ironically, after fifteen years, it was over. Liam stopped talking to Hadley as much, and Hadley opted to do the same. It was as if the moment Liam had turned 16, he decided to never talk to her again. The loss of her best friend stung like a thousand bees, but Hadley wasn't going to beg for him to come back. It was his choice, apparently, so who was she to change that.

Laying with her head flat against the rock, facing the impossibly blue sky, she hardly noticed a rustle near her, or the pair of worn sneakers next to her shoes.

Approaching the rock, Liam balled up his fist and bit his lip, gazing up at Hadley. His heartbeat sped up when he saw her, shadows playing across her face and her brown hair fanned out around her.

Hadley closed her eyes from the view and laid peacefully in her spot, not seeing the new tall figure that shadowed her.

Liam looked down and grinned. She looked beautiful. He stood in silence above her until her eyes suddenly opened.

Hadley jerked up quickly at the same time Liam bent down to help her up, sending them both sprawling backwards a ways on the rock.

All the color drained from her face. She swallowed hard. "Why are you here?" She asked, mistrust leaking in her voice.

Liam's eyes flashed a slightly hurt look. "I missed you, Hads." He says holding up his hands.

She searched his tawny bronze eyes for a sign that he was lying, only to be left with no clue.

How had so much have changed in the time he left her? He was now very noticeably taller, and his dirty blonde hair was a ruffled mess. The only thing that seemed to stay the same were his almost-golden eyes.

Hadley stared back defiantly. "Why'd you abandon me?"

A look of shock flooded his face. "I'm- I'm so sorry," he said flustered. "Well erm..."

"What?" She demanded, moving closer angrily. "What is it Liam? It better be a gosh darn good reason. We've been friends since we were babies and then you ignored me." She spat. "Do you have a reason, you jerk?"

"I had no idea you felt that way," he said frowning.

She grimaced. "Oh yeah? Well imagine that your absolute best friend abandoned you. Quit talking, quit acknowledging you existed. So the one person you counted on let you down, and you were left alone to pick up the pieces. Do you have a reason?!" She yelled.

He stood up suddenly and before he could restrain himself, he shouted, "I love you Hadley! I have since we first met, but i was to daft to realize it until lately!"

She froze, almost unable to move. "If you loved me, why did you leave me?"