Chapter Nineteen

When my shift comes, I feel no more settled than I did before, but at least I have had time to psych myself up for getting Clay out of here. It's the right decision, and it's the best time to do it, before Danny tightens up our restrictions entirely.

I jump off the bed, ready to wake Nick, and am surprised to see that his eyes are open and he's staring straight up, lost in thought. Something like shock crosses his face when he sees me, before he masks it and sits up.

"Lost track of time," he mutters, running his hand through his hair as if it's going to make a difference. His hair barely looks messy no matter what time of day it is.

We head down the corridor together, both quiet in thought. Personally, I'm wondering how long it will take before the others try to leave. Now that we have decided when to do it, the thought of getting out of here is starting to take over. The longer we're here, the most tense I feel, waiting for something awful to happen. It feels like a net slowly tightening until the top is closed and we're trapped for good.

I wonder if I will even be able to navigate out there, now that the jungle has changed so much. I won't be able to find any of the ruins I once knew for us to hide in. Then I realise there is an entirely new set of ruins above us, which sobers me quite a bit.

We reach the exit, and there is no one around. The dregs that are still awake are all still celebrating in the hall, and we are a little bit early for our shift so the changeover isn't looking for us.

I take the cover off the vent while Nick stands watch, pretending to tie his shoelace where the corridor turns. If he gets up and walks towards me, I know someone's coming.

I whistle softly down the shaft. After a few seconds I hear the soft padding of Clay's paws and he rounds the corner of the ventilation system, his eyes wide and alert. I lift him down, feeling him purr softly, and set him on the ground. Nick stands up and joins us, waving a hand to say that it is alright, no one is coming.

Nick walks on a little ahead to make sure that the patrol isn't nearby and waves to signal I'm safe.

I walk with Clay over behind the surveillance booth, where there are no cameras, and enter quickly into the jungle in front. Having been in there once, and from talking to Nick, I know that you would have to be looking out the window to see me enter here, but if you're on shift you're watching the T.Vs. If I move slowly, they shouldn't see me. A psychological blind spot in absence of a real one. I see Nick through the window asking them a question - probably about the patrol - and gratefully usher Clay into the jungle, confident that they won't notice me.

"I'm so sorry, buddy, but you have to go now," I say, kneeling down next to Clay as he looks around, excited and alert. He looks back at me, picking up on tone if not intent. He seems to realise that I'm not following him, like I usually do.

"Really, you'll be fine," I say, ignoring the lump in my throat.

Clay pricks up his ears suddenly and looks away. Within seconds he has run off, in pursuit of prey inaudible to my ears.

"Geez, don't get too upset," I mutter, standing up and heading quickly back in the spot I exited. I double back round the surveillance booth and open the door.

"How did you go?" Nick is sitting in one of the chairs. The previous two must have already left.

"Yeah, it went fine. He didn't look the slightest bit sad. Just ran off to hunt." I can't help but sound annoyed and a little hurt.

Nick shrugs. "He's a wild animal. He's smart. He knows what's best."

"You're right," I concede. "And it's what I wanted him to do anyway."