You couldn't see past the first two rows of trees. A dark pit of nothingness encompassed the rest of the forest, and even now in the open where the moon shone down on us the shadows that inhabited the forest didn't disappear. Instead it seemed like the moons powerful light reflected away.

Even the light of the moon was wary of the darkness.

A shout sounded from beside us and Parker and I snapped our heads to the source, "There!"

Halo's of orange light jumped and flickered in the distance as the hunting party approached, their silver swirling eyes noticeable in the night. Damien's familiar dark hair and evil glint in his black eyes caught my gaze. I didn't know whether or not the smirk I saw spread on his face was real or my imagination.

My panic grew as the sounds of evil approached and I looked between the group of men and women and the ForbiddenForest in front of me, uncertain which was more deadly.

But I never got to make the choice myself.

Parker grasped my wrist and jerked me forwards with him and into the Forest, the shadows snaking out and snatching us in their grasps, luring us deeper and deeper until the sounds of the world I came from drowned out into nothing.

The only sounds now were our panting breaths and the crunching of leaves beneath our feet as we ran. My muscles screamed out in protest as I pushed myself harder, trying to lock away thoughts of beasts and danger as I followed Parker blindly into the forest. My wrist throbbed with pain as Parker clutched it tightly but I shoved the pain to the back of my mind, fearing that if I called out in pain or worry someone- or something would hear me.

The scenery around me whizzed past in a blur as Parker propelled us through the forest, dogging tree after tree until he finally began to slow down, relieving my aching muscles.

My panting increased as we came to a stop and I bent over, resting my sticky palms on my dress as my chest heaved up and down. I glanced up and saw Parker in a similar position in front of me. He was bent over very close, his hairs brushing my braids as his eyes met mine.

"No going back now." He breathed the words out and a forced small smile jerked from the corner of his mouth.

A cry came out from the forest. Something that sounded so human yet shrieked with the distinct howl of a beast.

Seeking protection and comfort I grasped Parker's and pulled him to me so suddenly that I sent his body crashing into mine.

And through the forest floor.

We sailed down into the deep unknown, air sailing past us as our bodies entwined into a tangle of limbs. My arms flailed until I caught Parker's shoulder, digging my nails into it and holding on as we fell. One of Parker's arms was wrapped around my waist and the other had somehow twisted itself around my right knee. Panic and fear surged through me as we spun and swirled in the air and my eyes caught glimpses of darkness and mud walls through Parker's flailing hair.

Despite the feeling we had been falling for minutes when we finally hit the ground my body didn't break into a million pieces upon contact.

I did, however, feel an immense pain all over.

Groaning I pulled my body from Parker's and fell against the hard, dry ground.

A general façade of pain fell over my limbs and my joints screamed out when I tried to shove myself up from the ground. My nails dug into the earth as I pushed myself onto my two feet and I bit my lip hard to try and stop myself shrieking when a shooting pain tormented my legs.

Raising my hand to my head, I checked for any signs of damage, my hand only grazing a patch of blood on the corner my forehead. There was the slightest friction indicating a small cut hidden beneath the scarlet blood.