Chapter 1: Monster

(Y/N) POV

"Another Monstrous Nightmare, huh? What do they have against you guys?" I stroke the crimson dragon's back, and examine the large cut trailing down his chest, along with several others in various places. Nova, my best friend who just so happens to be a dragon, paces around the victim. "There must've been another battle last night," I say, as I look around my cove, filled with wounded dragons. The Monstrous Nightmare looks at me with innocent, lazy eyes, and nods his head slightly.

I begin to clean his cuts, and Nova wraps cloth around them, acting as a bandage. Over the years of watching me tend to dragons, I guess she learned how to do it too. When we finish, I lead him over to a small cave, and pat on a large, flat stone. The Monstrous Nightmare lays down, curling up, and closes his eyes. With that, I continue to tend to the other dragons.

***

I scratch underneath Nova's chin, as I gaze at the sky. The dragons are taken care of, and I think that they'll be able to fly in about... 2 days. The night is so immense, the stars so bright. I turn my head to find Nova's bright, lavender eyes gazing at me. Large and full of innocence. Her emerald green and midnight blue scales reflect the stars, leaving little white flecks in them. How can anyone despise this angel? I'll never know.

~~~Flashback~~~

(Y/N) runs "home" quickly, and as she opens the door, an emerald green and midnight blue dragon sits obediently and patiently behind the door. (Y/N) leads her up to her room, the dragon jumpy and nervous.

"It's going to be ok... Just don't let 'dad' see you, and it'll be fine," a 10 year old (Y/N) says.

***

"How could you raise a dragon!? A monster that has been slaughtering us for ages!? Disgraceful," (Y/N)'s father shouts at her, while lines of crimson form on her skin, and blossoms of black and blue decorate her body. If it had been at home, (Y/N) would've cried, but she continues to hold back her tears. No, it's not bad enough to have her "father" beat her, but it also just had to be in the center of town. Lovely. A large crowd had formed, and they begin cheering and shouting. Nova watches from a rooftop, as (Y/N) had told her to. The furious dragon resists the urge to attack the village, as not to disappoint (Y/N).

"They're not monsters! you don't understand-" (Y/N) starts, before the chief cuts her off.

"Enough," he booms. "You have brought shame upon your family, and for raising this... Beast, you are hereby banished from the Murderous tribe. If you are ever to set foot into our territory, the consequence is kill on sight." The chief scoffs. "And to think you're the daughter of Korona Valkon? Ha, as if." The chief gives (Y/N) one last glare, and stomps off, back to the Great Hall.

~~~Flashback End~~~

Nova nudges my arm, and crawls underneath it. I scratch behind her ears, and they flatten, like a little kitty's. I smile slightly, before allowing myself to be tucked away in the arms of sleep.

Hiccup POV

~4 days later~

"But Dad, I can do this," I say, tugging on my father's arm. He gives me a look, and looks down at me.

"Hiccup, you can't even throw one of these," he replies, holding up a rope with metal spheres at the ends, used to trap dragons. Someone comes up and grabs it, hurling it at a Gronckle.

"But, this will do it for me." I hold up my latest invention, a sort of device that will launch the dragon trap so that I don't have to myself. Dad sighs, and gives me a small lecture about how "Vikings don't invent things" or something. I'm not really paying attention.

"Gobber, make sure Hiccup doesn't run off. They need me out there," Dad finishes. Gobber nods, and pushes me into the workshop. I begin to protest, although I know it won't work.

"But I can fight, just let me-"

"No. Hiccup, you're going to get yourself killed," Gobber cuts me off.

"But," I press, "I want to help!" Gobber looks at me for a moment before speaking.

"You can help by staying in here and giving out weapons," Gobber replies calmly. I sigh, knowing that there's nothing I can do to change his mind. People rush to the stand, and I hastily hand them the weapons they ask, because, oh dear Thor, trust me, you always give a Viking what they want. No matter what. But I would listen to Gobber anyways. I mean, I've been his apprentice ever since I was little. Or, littl-er.

***

"I did it! I shot down the Night Fury!" I look around, overjoyed, but no one seems to have noticed. "Did anyone see that?!" I turn around, coming face to face with- oh for the love of the Archipelago..-a Monstrous Nightmare. Yup, running now! Running, running, running! I duck behind columns to hide, only to have them burned down. After what seems like ages of nonstop running, I hear the tearing of flesh, and Dad yelling. Which means 1) the Monstrous Nightmare is dead, and 2) I'm dead.

"Hiccup, what did I tell you!?" He picks me up and slings me over his shoulder, and begins carrying me back to the stand. Along the way, I attempt, emphasis on attempt, to explain to him how I shot the Night Fury. Does he care? Not. At. All.

(Y/N) POV

A loud thud! wakes me up with a jolt. A dark figure wriggles around, entangled in a net. I approach it carefully, and as I step closer, the figure forms itself into a dragon. A.. Oh, Thor.. It's a-

"Night Fury," I whisper. His emerald green eyes snap at me, pupils becoming thin and oval-shaped. I continue to approach him carefully, sticking my hand out as I do with every dragon that lands in my cove.

"It's ok, bud... I'm not going to hurt you... I want to help," I say soothingly, as the Night Fury's pupils grow larger, and more circular. I step towards him until my hand is almost touching his nose. He looks at me with his large eyes, and I look away, awaiting my hopeful result.

His nose nudges my hand, and stays that way for awhile.

***

Author's Note: Whale den... That's the rewritten first chapter of When I Grow Up. TBH, this is nothing like the first version of the chapter, but it was just backstory stuff, so I scrapped it. Anyways... I hope you're enjoying this so far! <3 So.. Um... Yeh. See ya on the flip side, bruh.