Chapter 1: Elena Crowe

Start from the beginning

But I'm having a hard time convincing myself of that fact. There is still a small part of me that trembles with fear and despair at the thought of war. Like I said, I'm putting on a good show, but deep down I'm praying that I don't have to have a major part. I'll be okay with something very small, but not anything like Harry Potter has to deal with. I don't know how he does it sometimes. Maybe that's how strong you can be when you have friends.

I'll never know.

I only have one more day until I return to Hogwarts. My Aunt has so graciously volunteered to take me to London so we can start getting my school supplies. So that's exactly where we were.

We were now in Diagon Alley. I honestly felt lost, not knowing where to start. My parents were usually here with me, a list in my mothers' hand as she tried to organize our route. But my Aunt Darcy is nothing like my mother.

She's very spontaneous. One minute we were in front of Borgin and Burke's, the next we were outside of Gringotts Bank. I wasn't shopping with her for an hour before I felt completely and utterly exhausted.

I ended up pulling my black hair out of my face and into a ponytail so that I could see my Aunt better. She was dashing from side to side and I was giving myself whiplash trying to keep up with her. I had finally managed to get Aunt Darcy inside Flourish and Blotts after dragging her through a crowd forcefully and even resulting to pulling on her long braid. She didn't appreciate that, but I needed her to actually get us somewhere useful today.
The shopkeeper bustled over to us upon our arrival and I gave him my list, hoping that everything was in stock.

"Ahh, yes yes, everything is here. Thank goodness they got rid of all those Monster books, they were destroying my shop. Banned them last year! I finally convinced them that they were no good and no good they were!" He says cheerfully, seeming very pleased with himself at this accomplishment, although I knew it was nothing on his part that got those books out of his store. As I heard it, too many people were bitten and ravaged by those books and parents were complaining to the Ministry about it.

He got me all of my books and I thanked him, my Aunt paying for them. "Aunt Darcy, what are you doing? I can pay for them by myself." I say firmly and she gives me a smile.

"Your mother left you in my care and I'm not going to let you spend all of your money on books whenever you need to be saving up for more important things." She says and I smile at her. I never realized how much my Aunt and Uncle stuck their necks out for me when my parents died. She lost her sister, too.

I got my black hair from my mother and my light blue eyes from my dad. My nose is my father's, as well as my cheekbones, but at least I got my mother's lips. I regrettably inherited my father's height; I was shorter than the average 6th year. My mother was taller than my father by a head, which always irritated him.

My Aunt however, had brown hair and stunning green eyes, a lopsided smile and a perky attitude. I feel like she was a ray of sunshine that just burst through my door one day and called herself my Aunt. I'm lucky to have her though, even if she is crazy.

We left Flourish and Blotts, my arms full of books as we made our way to our place we were going to stay. The streets were crowded with people getting their school supplies, most of the kids either in groups or with their parents. I felt a twinge of hurt in my chest as I thought about it but I tried to shake it off. I didn't want to think about it too much, because thinking would just lead to horrible things.

As I was shouldering myself through the thick masses of people someone ran right into me, knocking me over. I let out a yelp of surprise as I fell, hitting the ground hard while my books scattered across the ground. People instantly moved around me to avoid helping or stepping on me and I groaned. Turning around, I only saw a bit of blonde hair before the person who knocked me down walked away. It was a guy, I got that much, but he wasn't very nice. I scowled, not appreciating the fact that they didn't even stop to say sorry or even help me up. I scrambled around, grabbing all of my books and trying to get them arranged again. Aunt Darcy must've realized that I wasn't behind her, because she came back, looking shocked to see me on the ground.