Chapter 6

An alarm blared in Sam's ear, jolting him awake. It took him a few moments to figure out why he couldn't see any light at all, but then he remembered and sighed as he turned off the alarm.

This time, Sam remembered to pick up his cane before heading out to breakfast. He found it so much easier to navigate the hall and the entire house with it by his side. Mrs. Akiyama made more natto and salmon for breakfast, plus green tea. Sam say in the same seat as yesterday, hoping it was a system with them.

"Good morning, Hikaru," his mom greeted him.

"Morning." Sam hoped his chopsticks attempts would go better this time. He hardly ever ate Asian food, but when he did his friends used to make fun of him for not using the chopsticks right. Luckily for him, he got a little bit of practice the previous day, so maybe his failures counted for something.

"I guess yesterday was just an off day," Suki commented, noticing that Sam could actually pick things up this morning. It was no masterpiece, but he wasn't stabbing the salmon to pick it up anymore.

"Tonight we're going out to eat as a family, girls," their mom told them. "Don't go making any plans."

"Okay," Sam and Suki said in unison.

"Hey Sam, do you think Hika has a Walkman?" Al asked. Sam was surprised, thinking he wouldn't appear until later, but he managed to hide his alarm from the others.

Sam couldn't reply because how would he ask about it? Wouldn't he know that he has one? He couldn't just ask, "Mom, do I have a Walkman?" Because she would think he lost his mind. Plus, Al, did it matter? It wasn't like he could just walk around with headphones in. He would crash into something.

"Uh, Mom?" Sam said, hit with inspiration. "Have you seen my Walkman?"

"Walkman? I didn't know you had one," she replied. So that was a no.

"No, I just borrowed one from a friend to listen to a band they liked," Sam said, thinking on his feet.

"Good one, Sam."

"Oh, okay." His mom sounded confused, but believed him.

"I'll return it later when I find it," Sam said. "I'll look for it when I get home. They don't need it right now."

"I won't have time to do your makeup today, Hika; I have an earlier shift today," she told them.

"I can do it," Suki offered.

Sam was skeptical. "How good is she?" he asked their mom, assuming Hikaru wouldn't know anyway.

"She does a pretty good job on herself, I think. Go for it." 

"If you say so." Sam finished up his tea, which tasted kind of gross as he got to the bottom of the drink because he was used to only sweet tea or coffee. This kind of tea was just bitter without anything in it. He got up and went to the bathroom with Suki and let her do her worst.

"Oh, Sam, that's terrible," Al said. "She's got way too much eyeshadow on and your lips are far too bright for this to be casual."

"What would you know about that?" Sam asked.

"Hey, I'm good at this!" Suki defended herself. "You look great."

"She really cakes on that foundation, Sam."

"I know, I can feel it," he said.

"Great!" Suki said, thinking he believed that he looked good.

"She's got that 7th grade mindset of 'just put on as much as possible.' It's a newbie mistake."

As Suki left the bathroom, Sam asked, "How did you notice that?"