The servers were about to come out with the meal. The new year had brought many different kinds of food and drink to the Salvatore table. There was ham, turkey, strawberries, champagne....only the finest.

My mother saw me, somehow, in the shadows. She approached me with the largest smile I had ever seen her wear. She took my arm in hers, leading me toward the throng of people. "He's going to do it during the toasts," she whispered. "In front of everyone! Isn't it exciting?"

I nodded, my smiling face not at all reflecting the absolute horror I felt. My mother left me to speak to another woman, and I found Stefan at the edge of the crowd. I politely requested to talk to him for a moment, and he, happily, obliged. I pulled him away from the people before I spoke.

"Stefan," I whispered. "I can't do this."

"What?" he asked, confused. "I thought everything was worked out?"

I shook my head, going over the excuse in my head. "I....met someone else."

"What?"

The pleading look in his eyes made me want to apologize right then and there. I wanted to tell him that I was going to marry his brother, and that this was all a sick game.

But it was. And I had to keep playing.

"His name is George Lockwood. He proposed to me a few weeks ago," I said, trying to make it convincing. "And I accepted."

It even sounded pathetic to me.

And Stefan's face fell, showing he heard it, too. "But that's nots right."

"Damon had no claim to me, and I had to accept my best option."

"No, you chose the wrong option!" he shouted, his face flushed with anger. A few heads turned our way and I hushed him.

"There's nothing I can do about it, my mother and father have already agreed," I pleaded.

Stefan's face turned red. "He loves you. This will kill him if he loses you."

I felt my eyes fill with tears, but I had to remain cold. It was the only way.....

"George and I are leaving. Tonight. He's taking me to Paris before the wedding. The decision has been made, Mr. Salvatore."

Stefan's face looked destroyed. I couldn't even imagine what Damon's face would look like when I.....

There was a loud crash. Everyone turned toward the tables in the back. A feeling, a sick feeling, entered my stomach.

I ran, rather unladylike, to where the sound had come from.

George Lockwood lay on ground, holding his bleeding nose. Damon stood over him, his fists clenched, glaring at him.

"Damon!" I screamed. His infuriated glare fell on me. I saw a mix of emotions flood his eyes.

Loss. Anger. Pain.

Love.

Dispair.

He turned quickly away, and started making his way toward the Salvatore house.

Nearly tripping over my dress, I raced after him. "Damon!" I yelled, again.

He stopped walking, then turned to face me. His posture was closed off and extremely defensive. He crossed his arms over his chest, and to my surprise, he laughed. Not the humorous laugh he'd always had with me. This was bitter.

"I can't believe I fell for it!" he exclaimed, still laughing hysterically. "The whole act you had set up.....really, it was quite brilliant."

"Damon....." I tried to stop him, but he held up his hand.

"No, I'm talking," he said. He sounded intoxicated, which he was.....on jealousy. And anger. "Making me fall for you, making me love you. Just so you could stab me in the back. Lockwood?!"

He was shouting at this point. Every word he said struck a needle in my heart. But, I stayed quiet, refusing to meet his eyes.

"Why? Why would you do this to me? Especially after....." His gaze softened, only for a moment, as he remembered. But, he went cold again. "I need an answer. Now."

I took a deep breath, and stared into his eyes as I spoke. I was afraid of inciting a worse reaction, so I spoke softly. "Look, Damon. Something's about to happen. I need you to accept that is beyond either of our control, for now."

He looked at me, half-crazed and half-desperate.

I sighed, my heart shattering as I spoke. "You're about to meet someone else, and you'll be happy with her. It's.....not meant to be. Not between us."

Damon's mouth set into a straight line, and he turned away once more. Nothing I said had changed him. He was only that much angrier. A wave of guilt rushed through my soul.

I called out to him. He stopped, but didn't turn around.

"I'm leaving for Paris tonight. I don't expect to return."

He kept walking.

---

I know it's been awhile....sorry! I got a little bored with it....but I should be good now. Just needed my inspiration back :) vote, follow and comment! I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!! <3

Believe Me....I'm a Liar (Vampire Diaries fan fic) (ON HOLD)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara