Chapter Five

There was no possible increment of excuses that my brain could manifest to convince myself I wasn't a vampire. I have seen and experienced things no human would have thought possible. I won't truly know what's going on until my 18th birthday, only a week away. It's hard to imagine how much my life will change in such a short amount of time. They could call me a vampire, a witch, a werewolf or some other fictional character but I know who I was. I was Anne, and they could never change that.

Becoming a vampire would mean killing innocent people for blood. It's insane to think that I would desire or need it enough to kill someone for it. I would never do that. It's only a matter of time before the change happens. I couldn't run away from myself, but if the person I became was capable of killing, inflicting pain, and sacrificing others, I would face her.

There is always the possibility that becoming a vampire wouldn't change who I am. Maybe I could find a way to survive without the need for blood. I glance at the green emerald necklace my father had left for me. Hold on, how could I be so slow and stupid! The letter my mother left me before...before my grandfather killed her, was the key to all my questions! How could I not have thought about this before? I needed to read it, but it was exactly where I had left it for the past eighteen years, at home under my pillow. There was no way I could go get it on my own. I didn't even know how to get out from this realm of a nightmare.

Sarah would know what to do. She always found a way out of anything. She is a strong witty woman, her warm hugs were enough to make me feel secure and safe. If only I had a chance to say goodbye. She probably thought I was dead along with Jared. She was the closest thing I had to a mother. Thinking about her suffering right now was killing me. If I could only get to her and reassure her that I'm okay.

There was no one I trusted enough to ask for a way out, Mr. Ramberg was decent enough but he didn't want me to go back home, he wanted me to embrace "my duty." After all, who could I trust when I was under the roof of a grandfather I have yet to meet and killed both of my parents. If he was capable of committing such an awful act, he's more than capable of killing me too. I wasn't going to go along with a plan he created or follow his wishes. I would make sure to make him pay no matter what. My dad, a vampire prince left everything behind to be with my human mother. Their love was beyond the control of the King, or any vampire alliance. I might be just a girl, but I have to believe that love was worth fighting for. I might not have met them, but if there was something they taught me it was to fight for my own love no matter what.

For now, I need to find my way back to Sarah. One thing's for sure, I would not leave without my Jared. He's alive. I'm sure of it, I felt it. I just needed to find him. Mr. Ramberg must know where he is. Jared was the only reason I had jumped off a cliff for, and I would have him back.

I opened the door purposely expecting to find Mr. Ramberg waiting outside the library, but I was met with two guards instead.

"May I speak to Mr. Ramberg?" I felt a bit intimidated by their stern looks, but I was proud when my voice projected loudly.

"Professor Ramberg is currently attending important matters. You may be escorted back to your quarter, we will deliver your request immediately."

"I can find my way back myself. Thank you." I started walking back, but even as I made the correct turns I didn't miss the guard following close behind me.

As soon as I shut the door to my room, I felt a strange wave of relief. Having a guard to watch my every movement was going to be a pain. I wasn't even a queen yet and I already felt suffocated. Not that I planned to make it that far. Someone softly knocked on the door, thinking of Mr. Ramberg I opened it.

Emma's cute bright face poked inside, "Tea, Princess Annabelle."

"Oh, thank you." I would never get used to this.