My Benefactor Chapter Fourteen

Start from the beginning

"Who's that?" I asked.

Cathy looked panicked, like a deer caught in headlights. I wasn't sure why she should panic but it was just a simple question. "Uh...he's...um..."

I quirked my eyebrows. "What Cathy?"

She sighed, feeling defeated. I didn't why she was acting like this so her explanation better be good. "Derek, he's um...I don't know how to put this but he's sort of someone who's helping me forget."

"What do you mean?"

She shifted, looking uncomfortable on what she was about to say next. "You see...I ah..."

Oh good grief! Why can't she just spit it out already and be done with it.

She heaved out a big sigh as she struggled to speak again. ""Derek, I'm in love with you."

That explains her weird behaviour then. The woman was in love with me. I couldn't have another complication let alone a human having romantic feelings for me.

Without a word, I stalked to the door but she grabbed my wrist, making me stop,"I thought you wanted to feed?" she asked, frowning.

I yanked my wrist gently and shook my head,"I won't be needing your services. I will hunt instead." There goes my plan not to hunt.

"Derek, please let me--" I cut her off mid-sentence.

"No. Cathy, I won't be requiring your services anymore. I will send your last paycheck as well as severance through mail. It will help you start a new life." I said in emotionless voice.

She started to look nervous,"Is it because of my confession?" she asked.

I sighed and shook my head,"I don't know what to say." then opened the door to walk out into the night but she followed after me than spoke with so much conviction her voice.

"Derek, stop!"

I spun around and stared at her blankly,"What?"

She frowned with her eyes brimming with tears,"I tried Derek, I tried everything just to forget about you but, I couldn't. I love you."

I sighed, feeling the guilt. It wasn't her fault that she was feeling like this. It was a dick move for me to act cruel and rude towards someone who just declared her love, which will never be returned, "I'm sorry, Cathy. I don't have feelings for you, and besides I'm a pure blood and you're human. We can't be together. If I turned you into a vampire, you won't be treated as an equal. Converted vampires are on the bottom of hierarchy." My mind drifted to Reagan when I mentioned the word human. My sweet Reagan.

My thirst spiked up a notch when I thought of her. I need to hunt,"I have to go. Goodbye Cathy." I walked towards my car, knowing my next destination.

"Are you in love with someone else?" I sighed. She just have to ask that question.

Before I opened the door, I looked up and gave her a steady gaze,"Yes, Cathy. I am in love with someone else."

My heart sank when I saw the heartbreak in her eyes,"Why her? I did everything I could just so you'll like me.  Am I not good enough for you?" she asked softly. The tears in her eyes shed like the pouring rain, unable to stop.

"You can't force love upon someone who doesn't have feelings for you, Cathy. That's not right." I said, willing for her to understand.

"I love you, Derek. I don't care if I would be treated like dirt if you turned me into a vampire. As long as I'm with you, that's all that mattered." She cried. She ran towards me and gripped my arm, "Please, Derek. You'll learn to love me."

The situation may be different but it also applied to both Reagan and I's predicament.

It all boils down to heirarchy. AGAIN.

But for Cathy, she was asking for the impossible; for me to love her.

I shook my head, "I'm sorry. Someone's going to love you the way you wanted to be needed, but it's not going to be me." I pried her arm off me and opened the door,"Have a good and healthy life, Miss O'Neil." I got in, slamming the door shut. I started the engine and it roared to life.

I glanced at my tinted window and saw Cathy was still there, crying, clutching at the silk fabric of her nightdress as her means of support from the heartache.

It was all to much for me so I left.

I guess I would either hunt or go to feeding places from now on.

Note to self: Personal feeders are a no-no. They get attached to you on romantic levels.