"What for?" I cried out in despair. "Why are Americans now fighting against Americans? Where is the point in this?"

"Miss Ellwood, I greatly cherish your intellect, but I am afraid there is yet a lot you have to learn."

"Indeed there is, Mr Whitlock, but kindly explain to me how I am supposed to understand anything of this war when nobody will ever tell me anything? In case you hadn't noticed, I am a woman, and the sad truth is that women aren't seen as worthy of understanding warfare." I hissed, and only then realised that I had just more or less poured my frustration out to a man who was more or less a stranger. And an enemy at that.

"Personally I have never understood why it is believed women can't rule a gun." He remarked drily, and took the wind out of my sails. "You are the best example that a woman is of at least as much use in war as a man."

I was speechless, something that had never happened to me before. Luckily I was spared from an answer when a messenger came riding into the yard, kicking up the dust behind him. "Marianne Ellwood!"

I stepped towards the man on his horse. "Yes." I could not let Marianne come out now, I could not afford any trouble. One word of her and all the Confederate soldiers would be sent to their doom, should the messenger spread the word.

So I took the envelope from his hand and ripped it open, not caring that it was addressed to my sister.

Marianne,

I have heard of some disturbances in Kentucky, and I hope that the three of you are all in good health. Your mother and I have decided to return as soon as possible, and we hope to arrive by Monday. We will take the twelve o'clock train and be with you at one.

Tell your sisters to pack their things, as we shall leave earlier than originally planned. It is getting too dangerous for you in Barbourville.

Your loving father

I let out a breath, having held it for the past minute. If I hadn't gotten hold of this letter before Marianne...Then I looked up to the sky. Midday. I would have one hour to get around fifteen Confederates off these premises, half of them unable to walk. Impossible.

I frantically thought of any other way out of this dilemma. I let my gaze wander over the wounded men, some of them starting to recover, talking to each other... The thought of them being killed just after I had saved them was too cruel to bear.

"Sarah!" I called, and my voice had nothing of a lady's anymore. It sounded like a commander, and that was really what I was doing; I had taken over command, and I had never before felt so free. "Help me getting the Confederate's out of their uniform."

"My lady?"

"Father will arrive here in one hour." I said in an explanation's stead and hurried to the soldiers. "See if you can find any Union's uniforms. Harold, take these and burn them somewhere my father won't find out."

That would hardly be enough... my father would never believe that half these men had lost or gotten rid of their uniform. I needed more proof... I didn't have nearly as much time as I would have needed.

"Mr Whitlock..."

"I know, my lady, but you will not make me a Union soldier." He replied, and he did not look as if he would ever give up his scarlet uniform. It was what he believed in, and Jasper Whitlock would not give his beliefs up, that I knew. He would die for them if necessary, and that I could not tolerate.

"You have the choice, Mr Whitlock; either you stay with your men and change your uniform, or you keep your redcoat and leave. You're endangering every man here by your presence." Not to mention me... He stayed completely unmoved. I realised I had no chance of changing his mind once it was made up, and turned back to the house.