Are They For Real?!

Start from the beginning

"Uh..." I didn't like the sound of that.  "That's...good?"

"It's more than good, darling, it's amazing!  You are going to make many brides very happy.  So, let's not keep them waiting!"  She snapped her fingers in the air, her army of assistants standing at attention.  "Girls - gather up the train and usher the bride!  Let us bring her to the groom!"

The assistants sprang into action, a few fluffing my train, others flanking me at both sides, and one last one handing me a bouquet of shiny pearls before taking her place behind my train.  With another snap, they ushered me to where the other models were lining up.  My heart wouldn't stop pounding, and I willed myself to breath in and out, I couldn't help but wonder if this is what my mother and sister would feel on on their wedding day.  My thoughts focused on Kaim - what would he think when he saw me?  He's always told me that I was beautiful, but how would he feel about seeing me in this get-up?  One nervous laugh after another, I tried to remind myself that this was just a fashion show.  We weren't even remote close to considering marriage and I wasn't exactly the type of girl who dreamt about it anyway. 

Yet as the giddiness bubbled inside me, I was excited for him to see me.  I wanted to see the look on his face as I walked toward him.  I wanted to know if he thought I was beautiful as I felt...

"Make way for the showstopper bride!"  The booming sound of Lady Anympha's voice jolted me from my thoughts.  I saw him standing across the room, and my body went cold.  All the assistants around me obstructed his view, but that didn't matter.  I saw him, and it was only a matter of time before he saw me. Breathe...just breathe.  "She is my ultimate masterpiece - made for the perfect showstopper groom."

"He's right over there, Lady Anympha."  The whole lot of us headed toward Kaim, and I felt like hyperventilating.  This was so stupid - it's just a fashion show.  Why was I making such a big deal out of it?  "In the black suit."

That was the last thing I heard.  Every sound faded away, save for the echoing of my footsteps.  The time was at hand, and I couldn't understand my terror.  But I was excited too - I wanted him to see me.  I wanted to see his eyes sparkling, and I wanted to see the exuberance spill forth from his face.  I wanted him to be happy seeing me, as I knew I would be happy seeing him.

It may not have been real, but somehow, this felt real to me.

"Girls!  Make a path!  Show the man his bride!" In one swoop, they spread apart into two even lines.  The world faded away, and only the two of us remained.  I clutched my bouquet, overcome with nerves.  Here it was - the moment of truth.  "Mr. Showstopper, please meet your Mrs. Showstopper, darling."

I offered him a smile, even as though I couldn't look at him.  I felt his eyes upon me, but he didn't make a sound.  Nervousness ate away at me - did he like it?  He was so quiet, and I was so uncertain.  Did he like it?  Did he hate it?  Was the dress not as perfect as I thought it was?  There were so many uncertainties swirling inside my head...

"Zara..." He spoke so quietly, I wondered if I'd heard it.  "Is that really you?"

"Yes."  Even as I smiled, the terror still gnawed at me.  "It's me - all done up, but it's me."  Breathe - I needed to keep breathing.  "So - do I look okay?"

"Okay?"  Kaim stepped forward, closing the distance between us.  As he cupped my face into his hands, relief washed away my fears like the warm rains of summer.  There was no mistaking the happiness in his eyes, or the loving glow that surrounded his face.  I sighed, really smiling now.  If this is what my mother and sister had to look forward to, then I truly envied them.  "Zara - I want to tell you how beautiful you look, but the right words haven't been invented yet."