Making an Entrance

It was game time - so I had to put my game face on.

It might have been a family dinner, but I prepped myself for the situation much like a general planned for a crucial battle - carefully and with serious caution. Karyn deserved nothing less. There was do doubt in my mind that she would do everything in her power to make Kaim looking like the devil incarnate, and that she would do all she could to undermine and ridicule my relationship with him. But I refused to give her the satisfaction of my defeat.

With a smile on my face and Kaim's hand on my behind, I would sit and watch her downfall eagerly, spiteful to the core.

No ordinary dress would do for this occasion - only the most sophisticated and elegant dress would do. I finally had the occasion to wear this ivory-silk mushroom print tea-length dress that I paid entire too much for, even though it was on sale. Add a sweet-but-sassy pair of red velvet peep-toe heels, a sleek braided updo, a French manicure and pedicure, and my own brand of curvy sass, and I was a force to be reckoned with.

To be sure, though, I took a picture of myself with my cell phone and sent it over to Rachael. While I made it a point to never be the target of her brutal honesty, today was an exception. I wanted nothing more than to knock my sister off her high horse, and Rachael was the only one who would tell me if I was destined to slay or if I needed to pray to the God of Style for mercy.

The answer, thankfully, came quickly. "Damn girl, are you're looking gorgeous. Too bad that man of yours is going to rip it off in five seconds!" she squealed.

"It's not for Kaim, it's for Karyn," I told her.

"Karyn?" I could hear her stomach turn. "I never knew you swung that way..."

"Eww, you're nasty!" If I could punch her over the phone, I would. "It's not like that, sicko! I've got that family dinner tonight, and I want to look my best to shut her the hell up."

"Oh, that's tonight, isn't it?" She totally knew that, she just enjoys messing with me. "Well, that man of hers must be putting the tape on her mouth right now because she can't say a damn thing if you're looking that good."

"I'm sure, she'll try, though." I was ecstatic. "Seriously, do I look good."

"No, you don't look good." My heart stopped. "You look damn good, Zara! Then again, you should look good if a dress you paid three hundred bucks for."

"I know, right? It should dry clean instantly when I take it off, too. But it probably won't."

"Wouldn't that be nice? Anyway, where are you guys going again?"

"The Kirei Steakhouse - Gordon's buying. My mom said he wanted to meet Kaim, but I have a feeling that she's the one pulling the strings."

"At least you're getting a nice meal out it. Kirei is super expensive, definitely the kind of place that makes you want to put out later should a guy take you there on a date."

Ugh, it's always about sex with you, isn't it? And ew, now you've got me thinking of my mom and Gordon." I heaved a few times, trying to erase that horrid image from my head. "Thanks a lot!"

"You're very welcome, my dear." I should hear the smirk on her face. "In any case, you've got this hon. You've got on a cute dress, you've got a gorgeous man that everyone wants - and Melissa is pissed that she can't seem to get his attention, by the way - and you've got something that Karyn doesn't have."

"And that is?" I asked, curious.

"A smile on your face." There was something very sage about her words. "Trust me, bestie, you're going to kill it tonight."