01

Lucas stumbled as he ran towards the direction where Belle sat on the bleachers, her concentration engrossed on the new book she was currently into. Her hair, a dark shade of brown, fell smoothly over her shoulder in an elegant braid 一the kind of braid in which Lucas new her little sister did herself, and her light denim dress fitted her petite frame perfectly.

Lucas carried a paper bag in his hand, it's contents filled with egg sandwiches and grapes 一the basic, ordinary lunch Belle loved. Simple and easy. Just like her personality. Although he knew she was a huge ache here and there, she was who she was.

"Hey, guess what?" Lucas greeted as he instantly flumped down next to her. Belle smiled, closing her book shut. For Belle, Lucas was the only person whom she ever allowed to chime in while she was reading 一usually, she would've nagged about how her story book was much more important than any school rumor they tried to get her into. But with Lucas, satisfactorily, Belle always had patience with Lucas, just like what he had with her.

"What?"

"It's the first day of summer tomorrow, so that means I could help you out with that little slumber party Catherine planned to have in a few days." Lucas beamed as he handed her the paper bag, and Belle dug into it, pulling out the sandwich first and offering him a few grapes.

"Ah, summer. Finally, right? Who knew junior year was such a hassle. I thought that's where all the exciting things happen." Belle sighed, chewing on a grape. She kept her book inside her grey backpack, and Lucas cut off a small piece from her sandwich when she wasn't looking.

"Things like?"

"A, falling in love. B, the supposed-to-be memorable prom night," Belle sighed longingly, "and C, Peter Sanders."

"C, Peter Sanders?" Lucas rolled his eyes. "You still like him?"

"I don't like him. I'm not that sure. But he was just so nice一"

"He's nice to everyone, particularly every girl. I have no idea what you see in him. This is guy code for telling you that Peter Sanders is a total dick, and I forbid you from laying his eyes on him ever again."

Belle rolled her eyes, taking a small bite from her sandwich. Lucas was close to eating up all of the grapes, and when he noticed there were only four left, he backed away.

"You can't forbid me. He lives across the street! Plus, even if I did leave him be, it's not like anything is going to be better." She pointed out, smiling sweetly. "I'd honestly date you if you weren't gay. I was looking forward to going to prom with you in the future back when we were in eighth grade."

"At least I'm not your boyfriend," Lucas winked, and Belle giggled. "I don't want to be your boyfriend. I want to be your best friend一 because why would you want to hurt your best friend, right?"

"You are my best friend," Belle poked his nose. "Bestest."

"Then why do you need a Peter Sanders if you have me?"

Belle, who ate the last of her sandwich, neatly folded the tissue and turned to pick one of the grapes. "Maybe because I'm at that stage where I'm seeking for love."

Lucas scoffed. "Continue seeking and tell me who you find. I'll be the judge of that."

一*一

The Connor family had mac n' cheese for dinner that night, obviously Cather's choice. Their dad was flipping over a newspaper, licking his fingers before he proceeded to the next page, while Belle busied herself in preparing their little feast.

"Daddy, what are our plans for summer?" Catherine asks, her hands covered in different color shadings. Her hands were dirty on the table, crayons circling different pictures of her new coloring book.