Chapter I

A/N: So I've been in the process of writing this for a friend for quite awhile, so I decided I may as well publish it here. Vote/comment if you like it, I guess? x

Elena's POV

"You almost ready? He's gonna be here any minute," I heard a voice trailing down from the end of the hallway, footsteps coming soon after.

I rolled my eyes, turning around from my spot at the mirror to face my best friend. "As ready as I'm gonna get."

Her jaw dropped, followed by a small smirk forming on her face.

"What?" I questioned her odd look.

"'As ready as I'm gonna get', yeah okay," she scoffed. "You're hot as hell."

I was wearing a black pair of skinny jeans and a tank top; nothing overly fancy.

I shook my head, smiling a bit. "Sure, Brooke."

"Can you at least act like you're a little bit into this?" she asked, glancing down at her phone, typing something out quickly before looking back at me.

I shrugged indifferently. As much as I was letting on that I wasn't, I was actually somewhat glad to be going out. Parties meant time to hang out with friends and sort of forget about real life for a bit, not to mention the copious amounts of free booze. That was always a plus. It was one of the benefits of having a friend that was dating a guy in a band. He had a lot of connections that always translated to a lot of parties when he was in town, which I somehow managed to get dragged to quite often. For the most part, it was relatively awkward since I didn't know many of the people there, aside from his bandmates which I was slightly acquainted with and a couple others from our circle of friends.

"Come on," she grabbed my wrist. "He's in the parking lot waiting for us."

We made our way out of our apartment, locking the door behind us before heading to the elevator. Once we made it outside, he waved at us, and she grinned, launching herself into his arms.

He tossed his cigarette onto the ground, stepping on it before kissing her forehead and then her lips. "Hey."

"Hey," she mumbled back, the smile still on her lips. Their relationship was one of the cutest I had ever witnessed. I never really understood how they did it, though. He was home for maybe a couple months out of the year, and to me that just seemed weird.

"Hey, Elena," his attention flickered to me for a moment.

"Hey, Jesse," I replied.

"Ready to go?" he asked the both of us, to which we nodded in response.

She hopped into the passenger's seat, and he made his way over to the driver's side. I got in the back, engaging in the idle chatter about the party, who was going to be there, and how much fun this was going to be. I sort of felt like a teenager again, going off to some random person's house party that I'd only found out about through word of mouth.

We arrived shortly after, and I was surprised at how large the house was. Most of these parties took place in penthouse apartments or other smaller places with relatively small crowds; nothing like this, that was for sure. I could tell already that this party was going to be huge.

Upon walking through the front doors, I realized how correct my assumption was. The place was packed, loud music blasting from somewhere in the depths of the house. I almost laughed at how much this resembled something out of a movie or some teenaged kid's party.

I was standing among a group of people including Brooke, Jesse and Zach, one of Jesse's bandmates, all of which had already begun to drink large amounts of alcohol. I was really no exception to this. While chatting with Brooke and Jesse, I spotted something that caught my attention, and I stopped mid sentence.