1. How it all started.

* Not edited *

June 20th, 2015

Manhattan, New York.

Ivory's POV.

It was moments like these, that made me hate life. Here I am, standing in front of my apartment building, completely drenched by the rain, trying to balance all my belongings in my arms.

I release a deep sigh and look up at the sky. Time to find a place to crash, I think to myself and start dragging along all my belongings.

Now, you're probably wondering, how did I end up on the streets?

Well, if I'm going to tell you a story, I should start from the beginning, shouldn't I?

* Two Hours Ago*

I'm sitting comfortably on my couch with my laptop on my lap, trying to find a nice position to sit in. As the intro of the new episode of 'Game of Thrones' starts playing, I hear some loud yelling through my crappy apartment walls.

I roll my eyes. " Do they have to argue all they damn time? " I mutter under my breath. I'm talking about Mr. and Mrs. Johnson. They're a middle-aged couple with some serious issues. And it seems like tonight, they're going at it again.

But as the yells become louder, I realize that it's not them.

" Fine! If you don't want to do it, I'll do it! " I hear a muffled voice say.

Shît. It's Marshall and Eleanor. Marshall and his wife Eleanor are the owners of this apartment complex. And I know what they are about to do.

I haven't paid any rent for six months, and Eleanor was sweet enough to let me stay here for free. I guess Marshall doesn't really want me to sta-

my thoughts are interrupted by loud bangs on the door.

" Miss Harrison! Could you come out here for a minute? " It sounds more like a command rather than a question.

"I'll be right there! " I quickly yell back. Standing up, I try to fix my appearance a little bit. I look horrible, I think as I look myself down in the mirror. Well, they're going to have to deal with it.

Quickly, I scramble towards the door and yank it open.

Looking up, I'm met with a red-faced Marshall with Eleanor standing behind him, looking at me apologetically.

" Good evening Marshall, Eleanor. " I say to them with a smile forced onto my face.

" Good evening, dear. " Eleanor replies.

" Yeah , hi. Miss Harrison. Are you going to pay your rent today? Because if not, I'm going to have to evict you." He tells me in a steady voice.

Eleanor looks startled and yanks at Marshall's ear. " Marshall that was not the deal! " She scolds and turns her head to look at me. " I'm sorry dear, Marshall doesn't know what he's saying. "

I give her a weak smile, knowing I still had to leave today. I want to leave, but I just don't know where to. I'm practically broke.

My moms words fill my head again. "You need to stop being so selfish, honey. I can't pay your college fees, you need to do it yourself. You're nineteen now. Gosh, stop being so greedy.

The words still haunt me everyday. Selfish. Greedy.

"Look Ivory, the bottom line is, you need to find another place to stay. Eleanor and I are losing a lot of mo-" His wife interrupts him. " This isn't about money, Marsh, the poor girl doesn't have any money. Can't you sympathize? " She asks him.