Chapter 1

The crunch of dried dead leafs, and the snap of small twigs created vibrations under my worn out sneakers as I walked through the uninhabited forest. The sound of a countless amount of birds loomed above and around me. An exotic mixture of smells fill the air from all the pine trees, plants, flowers, and moisture of the soil. The sunset was leaving a shimmer of light on the trees just enough to illuminate my path. I learned that if I cut through the forest to get to the next local bar, it was faster than going all the way around. Through the trees I can see the light glow of 'Lenny's Bar & Café'. Getting to the treeline and crossing the rugged road eyes scan the parking lot, about fifteen different cars and trucks but one in particular catches my attention. The blue truck with a trailer hitched to the back looks oddly familiar, shrugging it off I continue to the front entrance. Walking through the door, it seems as if the building is split in the dead center and the aroma was an odd combination of coffee and alcohol filled the chilly air. One side of the building had rugged bar stools spread out unevenly under the counter top sporting only one man, and an empty seat with a half empty beer mug. The walls were decorated with tacky neon lights advertising beers and wine coolers. A dimly lit pool table in the back with three men gathered around it; one holding a cigarette in one hand and beer in the other as the other two stood glaring at the pool table, cues in hand as they contemplated their next move. On the opposite side of the building was a small stage with a few small tables littered in front of it, and in the back sat an old tattered leather sofa. Across from the lounge like room, in a small corner was a coffee bar with a black chalkboard covered with the menu and the latest sales. Re-adjusting my small duffel bag on my shoulder before making my way to to stage waving at the barista and across at the bartender, sighing as I place my guitar case on the stool that sits front and center on the stage...