Chapter 2

"'Goodnight, Alfred.' He thought, turning off the bedside lamp."

(^J^)

Arthur woke up to the screaming of a sleeping Alfred. Arthur started to try and wake Alfred up from whatever nightmare he was having.

"Alfred! Alfred, wake up! It's okay, it's only a dream!" He shouted, trying desperately to wake the small child.

Alfred's eyes shot open, searching around the room as if searching for the thing in his nightmare. Soon, he calmed down and realized he was no longer in danger.

"Alfred, are you okay, lad?" Arthur asked calmly putting a hand on Alfred's shoulder.

Alfred nodded slightly. "Yeah, I'm just a bit shaken up." He said with a nervous smile.

Arthur gave him a comforting smile and asked, "How about I make you some hot tea?"

Alfred nodded, shakily and followed Arthur into the small kitchen of the apartment. He sat on a barstool and waited for the tea that was promised him.

A few minutes went by and Arthur sat the steaming hot green tea on the counter in front of Alfred saying, "Here you go, lad. Be careful now, it's a bit hot." He smiled and went to go make breakfast.

Arthur finished cooking, setting down a plate for Alfred and himself, and looked at the clock. It read "7:45 AM". 'This is going to be a long day.' He thought, sipping his tea.

A few weeks passed since the nightmare, and no sign of the Russian has presented itself.

Arthur had gotten Alfred to open up a little more. He learned that Alfred was, in fact, four years old. He also learned that Alfred's mom was killed by the man that kidnapped him. So he was now an orphan.

"Arthur, Arthur! Look at the picture I made!" Alfred exclaimed, holding up a page that held what looked like scribbles to the British man.

"It's a wonderful picture, Alfred." Arthur replied, humoring the young child.

Alfred smiled brightly and went back to coloring. Arthur was working to see if Alfred had any living relatives, but so far had found nothing.

Arthur sat back in his chair with a sigh, running a hand through his messy hair. He got up and knelt down beside Alfred. "Hey Alfred, how would you like to go out to eat tonight?" He asked the coloring child.

"Yeah, that'll be awesome!" The child exclaimed jumping up and down excitedly.

Arthur chuckled a little at the thought that such a small child could hold so much energy. "Get your shoes on while I clean up in here." He said.

Alfred ran off to go get his new slip-on shoes on while Arthur stayed to clean up the crayons and paper. After a little bit, they were out the door and on their way to McDonald's.