Chapter 7

The room was spinning, tilting at an odd angle. His face was swaying, and then blurring, then the blood was pounding in my ears. I had wanted so badly to be wrong...but this took everything my father had said and clenched it. Aodhan was being abused by his father, on top of being bullied at school. And he didn't want me to say anything about it.

When I finally found I could speak, my voice came out dry and raspy, which crashed and burned my attempt to sound demanding. "Why didn't you tell me?"

He answered carefully, avoiding my eyes. "I didn't think you would believe me. Your family is so perfect...and I was scared you might tell someone and my father would punish me."

"Aodhan...we have to tell someone. You could get really hurt if we don't..."

He panicked. "Zena, you can't. You can't! Please I can handle it just please..."

"What do you want me to do? Watch you get hurt?"

"I want you to just be my friend. Is that asking too much?" His eyes were locked on mine, begging and demanding all at once. And that was the first time I gave into peer pressure.

"No," I sighed. "It's not. I won't say anything."

I stood up and held out my hand. "We need to go back to class. But if we're not going to say anything, we can't have you looking like that."

I pulled the door open and led him through it quietly. Every head in the room snapped up when we walked in, but for once they couldn't say anything. He looked good. My mommy is a makeup artist and she was starting to teach me some so I got the makeup she let me have at school for emergencies and you couldn't even tell he'd been injured. I even played with his hair a little bit to shape his face, and the fruits of my labors were delicious.

Laura looked like she really wanted to say something, but what was she going to say that wouldn't make her sound stupid? She opened her mouth but I said, "Don't even start, Laura Mishnel. You can't say anything about his looks when you show up everyday like that." and sat down in my seat, right next to Aodhan.  Then as I sat there through the lessons I started to get the impression that I was too old for my age.

Alright!! Update update update!! Yes it's short but it is there. Sorry about the lack of them lately, writer's block sucks. If anyone has suggestions or ideas, I'd love them, the best one gets one of their stories mentioned!! Also, if y'all want to make covers, I will also take those. Love you guys :)

Comment

Vote

and keep the ideas rolling.