Condition Terminal

I sit up in my room with my science textbook, studying for tomorrow's class. I try to keep myself calm. Lydia is in surgery, Tracy is dead and some teenage boy is missing from the sheriff station. All this and Scott didn't call me once. I am starting to take Theo suggestion into consideration about getting back at Scott, Stiles and the rest. I hear Deaton's voice coming from downstairs so I run down to the living room. He has three jars on the table. Two with claws and the other with scales. "What's going on?" I ask.

"We're trying to figure out how Tracy got over the line of mountain ash," Deaton replies.

"I thought nothing supernatural could do that," Kira says.

Deaton and Scott, both, look at me. I flick out my claws. "I'm just as supernatural as my brother but...different."

"So, if Tracy was able to cross the mountain ash, and no supernatural is able to do that..." Deaton starts but trails off his sentence, looking at Scott.

"Tracy isn't supernatural," Scott finishes.

"Exactly."

"Tracy wasn't born or bitten," I point out. "The only thing that could've happened was she was made."

Deaton nods. "Made?" Kira asks.

"Someone is making supernatural creatures without supernatural means," Deaton explains. "Someone is managing to blur the line between science and supernatural."

"There's more," Scott says. "Liam says he found a hole out in the woods."

I look to Deaton. "Incubation. It could be a part of the process."

Kira stands up from her seat. "What are we suppose to do?"

"Do what you've always done. Protect your friends. Protect each other," Deaton replies.

"What about someone like Tracy?" Scott asks.

"I can't tell you. Hopefully I'll have more answers while I'm gone for a few days."

"You're leaving?"

"Just a few days."

"How scared should we be?" Kira asks.

Deaton picks up on of the jars. "I've lived in the world of supernatural for a long time. I'm still a doctor, still a man of science. Something like this happens, it rattles the foundation of everything you believe in. This shakes you to the core."

"Something like what?" Scott asks.

I hold up the jar with the talons in them. "The rules, Scott." I grab Kira by the wrist and press our hands together. The lights start to flicker like back in Mexico. "The rules have changed."

The next day in class, I'm sitting in the back with Theo while we are discussing DNA. Mrs. Finch has drawn colorful representations of DNA Fragments on the chalk board to illustrate the routh for DNA into cells. She turns to the class and asks, "If 99.9% of our DNA Sequence is the same as other humans, what could account for the missing .1% difference?"

"Nucleotides," me and Theo say at the same time.

It catches me off guard and makes me turn red. Without looking from the board, he takes hold of my hand under the table. I cover my mouth to stifle my gasp. I see him, out the corner of my eye, smile. I slowly grab onto to his hand in return. Kira raises her hand and asks if there can be more than one species in the same DNA.

Mrs. Finch says no, but says there can be multiple sets of DNA in the same individual which they call a Chimera. Finch asks the class if anyone knows where the term comes from and Sydney pipes up that it's from Greek mythology. It was a lion with a goat coming out of its back and a snake for a tail. Finch is not impressed because she sees that Sydney has her phone open to the Wikipedia page for the answer.