Life's Betrayal

"Patti called me, saying that something was wrong, so I went to their house immediately. I wasn't expecting what I found. Kid was absolutely consumed by madness. He said things that didn't make sense, until now." Stein explained to Lord Death. "What did he say?" the reaper asked, as Stein tried to remember. "They're here." Kid stated, as Stein frowned. "Who?" he asked. "Them. They look like normal people, but they're going to kill us all." he answered. "How do you know that, Kid?" Stein asked slowly. "There's nothing we can do about it... it's over." he said, his voice almost a whisper. Stein walked closer to the bed, as he grabbed a syringe of anesthesia from his pocket. "Kid, let me help you, okay?" he said, as Kid chuckled. "Help me? it's not me who you need to help. All of them are in danger." Once Stein had finished his tale, the shinigami frowned. "All of them are in danger..." Lord Death repeated. "What should we do?" the doctor asked. "Call Maka, BlackStar and their weapons. I want them here immediately."

At Crescent Moon Class ~

"You look as good as new, man!" Soul exclaimed, high-fiving BlackStar. "Marie said I should have rested a little bit longer, but I can't do that being the great god I am!" the blue haired guy shouted. "More like being the stubborn idiot you are." Maka said, earning a glare from her childhood friend. "Where are Liz and Patti?" Tsubaki asked. "They're with Kid." the scythe yawned, as Maire approached them. "Guys, Lord Death is calling you." she advised, as they stood up. Once they had arrived, they found Stein and Lord Death, not any sign of Spirit, which made Maka frown. "Why, hello there! glad to see you better, BlackStar!" Lord Death said, as happy as ever. "As you all may know, three figures have been causing trouble to people, which means they must be stopped." he said, but then Lord Death's mirror made some kind of shriek sound. It made all of them to cover their ears. Once it stopped, they all looked at the mirror, gasping at the sight. Spirit was unconscious, tied to a chair. Next to him, a man with a black hood. His face couldn't be seen, but seeing Spirt like that made Maka act. "PAPA!" she exclaimed, walking up to the mirror. "Let him go, you bastard!" she screamed, hitting the mirror with her fist. "Why so angry? I thought you hated this man?" the black hooded man said, his voice sore. "Why don't you come here and fight, coward?" BlackStar yelled, earning a chuckle form the man behind the mirror. "I would watch my vocabulary if I were you, kid. If you are looking for a fight, you'll have it, soon. I want to see how strong your meisters are, Death." he said. "What are you talking about?" Lord Death asked, confused. "I've been waiting for this to happen, so long. Tonight will be it, tonight we'll see which one of us gets to live. Prepare you kids, it's time for you to see the painful truth!" he screamed, as the mirror made an explosion and broke, sending the scythe meister flying back. "Maka!" Soul panicked running to her side. Fortunately, she didn't seem to have any wounds or injuries. "I'm fine..." she said, leaning on Soul. "What the hell was that?" Stein asked, as Lord Death sighed. "I know who he is." he stated, dragging the attention of everyone in the room. "We used to call him Life, back in those days." Death said, remembering. "He was so joyful, all the time smiling, he was one great person. After one day, his brother, who was the only family he had left, was killed by a kishin right in front of him. That changed him completely, he was not the same. Those times were different, while he was all the time laughing, me, on the other hand, used to be all grumpy and serious. He used to come to me and make his typical joke, saying-" "'why do people love me, but hate you?'" Maka interrumped, making everybody look at her. "Yes, he used to say that. After his brother died, his older self died too. He left to start a new life, and I never saw him again. I should have known it was him." he finished. "So he is the one using Concealment of Souls?" Stein asked, as Lord Death nodded, but looked at the girl with pigtails. "Maka, how did you know Life used to say that?" he asked her, as she looked at him, preparing herself for the long story that was to come.

Ten minutes later...

After her story, Stein couldn't be more wide-eyed. "Life and Kami..." Lord Death said, astonished of the story. "I couldn't believe it at first, too. Then he proved himself and I wanted to get to know him because I was mad at Spirit and... I've been so stupid..." she looked down, feeling Soul's hand in her back. "Maka, even if he was you real father, he's been using you." Lord Death said. Then, Maka did something nobody was expecting; she lifted her head, clinched her fists, and looked deeply at Lord Death. "I'm so tired of crying and people comforting me. Lord Death, I promise I will try my best to stop Life and save Spirit." she assured, earning a smile from everyone in the room. "You are one determined girl, aren't you?" the reaper said. "Okay, Maka and BlackStar, I want you and your weapons to get ready for tonight. Stein, you and Marie will accompany them, so get ready as well." Lord Death demanded. "If there's gonna be a fight tonight, where will it be?" Tsubaki asked. "I know where it'll be." Maka talked. One by one, all of them left the Death Room one last time before the great fight.

At the DWMA's infirmary ~

"Big sis." Patti called, sitting in front of Kid, who was still on the hospital bed. Liz, sitting next to her sister, lifted her head and Patti noticed the tears making their way down Liz's cheek. "Why are you crying?" she asked her. "I'm starting to think we may lose Kid forever, Patti..." Liz admitted, earning a gasp from her sister. Patti stood up, her eyes watering. "Don't you dare say that! How can you give up just like that? how can you give up on Kid, when he'd never do such a thing for us? We've known Kid for so long now, and I know he's stronger than this, I know it!" she raised her voice. Liz then realized; Patti was not trying to convice her that Kid was gonna be okay, she was trying to convince herself. She stood up as well, hugging her sister, who was already in tears. "He has to wake up Liz... he has to..." she sobbed. "He will, Patti."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------