Girl Meets the Forgotten

I sat in the Matthews' kitchen with Maya and Topanga. Riley walked in. "Why didn't you wake me? It's electives day. The earlier we sign up, the better the chance we have of getting all the good ones." Riley told her mother. "I tried to wake you up three times." Topanga told her. "You know I don't think you're serious until six times. You know the first three times I'm still checking for chicken pox to see if I can miss school." Riley told her. "I don't get you sometimes," I told her.

"Hey, I tickled your toes." Maya told her. "Yeah she did," I told Riles. "Well, that explains the Lucas dream." Riley said, all dreamily. I stared at her. "Well. That's a little disturbing," I told her. 

"So, what electives are we hoping for?" Topanga asked us. "We are hoping to get out of them." I replied. "Actually, it's not gonna happen, sister. These are service electives." Riley told me, "Not only do they expect us to be students, but now they want to give us jobs." I shook my head. "How are we supposed to work and go to school at the same time?" Maya asked. "Yeah, who does that?" I asked. "How you doin'?" Cory greeted, walking into the room.

"Oh, hey, honey. Where you going?" Topanga greeted. "I'm going to school." Cory told her. "Oh, whatcha gonna do there?" She asked. "I'm gonna work." He replied. "Wait, you're gonna go to work and school?" Topanga asked. "At the same time." Cory replied. "Wait but, just for a couple of days, right?" Topanga asked. "No, no, no. This is forever." Cory answered, "But Topanga, surely your responsibilities are temporary, right?" "Oh, no. I have to do everything all the time." Topanga replied. I rolled my eyes. Maya, Riley, and I clapped our hands. 

"Bravo!" I cheered. "No more." Maya and Riley said in unison. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you." The couple repeated taking bows. "We will be here for the rest of your lives." Cory told us. "Have a good day, honey." Topanga told Cory as he left.

"I hate parent theater." Riley admitted. "Yeah, we did set them up pretty good." Maya added. I nodded. "You know, when I went to law school, I held down two part-time jobs." Topanga told us. "Yeah, but now your life is a piece of cake." Riley reminded. An idea popped into my head. "Would you make us cake?" I asked. "Get to school." Topanga ordered, not answering my question. "You'll be here, making cake?" Maya asked, as we stood up. I looked at Topanga hopefully. She shrugged.

"Hey, Riley, you can put your dishes in the dishwasher." Topanga told Riley as the three of us walked to the door. "Later, mom. I promise." Riley promised. "Job and school. Job and school." I repeated as we walked out the door. Topanga said something, but I couldn't hear her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Who here knows about the great depression?" Cory asked in class. "I thought it was called the grand canyon?" I asked. "Me too." Riley agreed. "Excellent." Cory told us, sarcastically, "Who here knows about the great depression? Maya?" "Nothing's gonna beat that, sir." Maya replied. "Farkle, save me." Cory pleaded. I turned to Farkle. He stood up.

"The year was 1929, the stock market crashed, everyone lost their money and their jobs. And the people who were comfortable were now lost and became known as ," Farkle explained, looking at Cory. "The forgotten." Cory finished, pointing to the board.

"Working class people, the heart and soul of our country, basically taken for granted in the first place, and now, discarded and forgotten." Cory explained. "How could that happen, sir?" Lucas asked. "It shouldn't have, Mr. Friar." Cory told him. "But that could never happen to anyone in the grand canyon today, could it?" Riley asked. "I don't know, Riley. I'm sure you would never take anyone for granted, right?" Cory asked.  "I would never." Riley replied.

"And do you think there's anyone who cares about you who goes underappreciated or overlooked?" Cory asked. Riley looked lost in thought for a moment before turning to Maya and I. "Dylan, Maya, my life is so much better for having you two in it." Riley told us. "We know, pumpkin." My sister and I said in unison. Riley then turned to Cory. "Thank you, dad. For the first time, I've actually understood something that you've tried to teach me." Riley told him.