Girl Meets Popular

"Look what's happening, look what's coming!" Riley said, all happily as she, Maya, and I walked down the stairs of our school. "What's coming, crazy?" I asked. "Invitations. To the seventh grade parties.  It's begun. We could be party girls. I'm going to need a party-girl walk." Riley said. She started doing some weird dance/walk thing. She ended up finishing in front of our lockers. "Yeah, that's not it." Maya and I said in perfect unison when we knew for sure she was finished. 

"You know, there is going to be boys at these parties. But not just any boys. No. Opposite-sex boys. They're the best kind." Riley said. I gave her an amused look. "Yeah, you sound ready for this." Maya commented, sarcastically. I nodded. "Oh, I am. And I may just be the first girl who crosses over from our side of the room to the" Riley started. "Yeah, it's gonna be us." Maya and I said, at the same time Riley said: "Yeah, it's gonna be you two."

"You two know what pretty-boyhipste is handing out invitations to. Don't you?" Riley asked, gently nudging Maya and I. "A party." Maya and I answered, gently nudging Riley. "Membership cards to the popular club." Riley said. I sighed. "Why can't you just let it be a party?" I asked. "Because this is it, right here. This is where you guys go one way and I go the other way. You two get the invite and you marry pretty-boy hipster and his pretty friend and I end up marrying Anthony Delveccio and we buy things in bulk." Riley explained, "You guys are gonna be popular. I'm not. Good for you guys. Good girls. Bye-bye, Maya and Dylan." Riley hugged us and began to sob. "Bye-bye." Maya and I stood there, not hugging back or anything. We were just standing there.

Riley pulled away, as the "hipster-guy" walked towards us. He looked down at an invitation, and then held it in front of Riley. Riley pushed it towards me. I pushed it towards Maya, and Maya pushed it back to the guy. He looked down at the invitation again, and brought it up to Riley again. Riley looked up at him hopefully. The guy nodded. Riley began to hum something. "Yay! For me!" Riley shouted, taking the invitation. The dude walked away. 

"Maya, Dylan, I know you two didn't get one, but is it okay if I'm really happy?" Riley asked us. Maya and I shared a look and smiled. "You go get 'em, tiger." I told Riley. Riley giggled and did her weird dance/walk thing and walked down the hallway. "We love you, but." Maya started, when Riley was out of our sights. "You're a lot of work." I finished. Maya and I mimicked Riley's dance/walk thing all the way down the hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat in my seat in Mr. Matthews class. Riley walked up to his desk. "Boom!" Riley shouted, dropping the invitation on the desk. "You got invited to something?" Mr. Matthews asked. "So much for genetics, baby." Riley said. I stifled a giggled. "Ooh, seventh grade party. Yup, I didn't get invited to a whole lot of these. Good for you. I'm proud of you." Mr. Matthews told her, "Boy-girl party?" "Yup." Riley replied. "You can't go." Mr. Matthews ans Riley said in perfect unison. "May we approach?" Maya and I asked. "Hurry, please." The two Matthews said in perfect unison once again. Maya and I walked up to the desk.

"We're gonna keep your young'un out of trouble, sir." Maya told him. I nodded. "Hart, other Hart, you two are trouble. Why would I want my young'un anywhere near the same party you two are gonna be at?" Mr. Matthews told us. "You wouldn't. Say it. You know you wanna say it." I told him. "You can't go if Maya and Dylan are invited." Cory told Riley. Maya and I pointed to Riles. "Maya and Dylan are both not invited." Riley told him. "Then you may go." Maya and I told her. "Thanks, daddies." Riley thanked us. "All right, good day, everybody. Class dismissed." Maya told the rest of the class. They all stood up, but Cory stopped them. "Sit down!" He shouted. "Sit down!" Riley, Maya, and I shouted at the class.

The three of us walked back to our desks. "So there's this guy Damocles who really really wants to be king. One day he gets an invitation to come sit on the throne and actually hang with royalty." Cory began his lesson. "No!" Riley shouted. "'Sup, Riles?" Maya asked. "Pop's lesson hitting a little close to home?" I asked. "Nope, what he's saying has nothing to do with me. Yes, I've been invited to hang with middle-school royalty, but nothing bad could happen." Riley told us. I rolled my eyes. She just jixed it.