The Final Interview

Start from the beginning

Soon, the Games started. I looked at myself, dressed very similar to my outfit this morning, as I stood on a platform, ready to dive in the water. Everyone that died in the bloodbath was shown. It must've been a record number of tributes. At this point, a question that had left my mind long ago was answered: who killed Kane. It was a group effort by the Career Alliance, handled mainly by Ciruss pining him down and Laurel taking a sword to his chest. Damn.

The Games were three days in, when the heavy rain started and I gained more allies. From this point of view, I looked like some kind of hero. It seemed to highlight my every success, as if I could do nothing wrong. Noah protects her friends. Noah convinced Ginger to team up. Noah guides the group to the fruit. 

Even when I triggered an attack by Anita and Saira and killed the better part of my alliance, I still looked like a saint by comforting Ginger. But I knew the truth. I had been lying to her then, keeping secrets. I would leave her by the next day. She would be dead in two.

How had I been the one that made it?

They also highlighted the Career alliance here and there. How they seemed to be constantly splitting apart and coming back together. I watched as Ciruss joined up with Saira, Emmit ran from the Cornucopia and then sided with me, as Sai and Laurel struggled to survive in the terrible environment. And again, I asked again: How had I been the one that survived?

At the same time, the question seemed to be getting answered. There were side by side clips of Emmit and me tracking down Ciruss and Saira. My first kill. For this part, I mentally pictured Sariel. Instead of grinning at me, he looked disgusted, trying not to watch as I yanked my knife out of her.

I could feel myself breathing heavily as the image faded away. He hated me, I was sure of it.

Back on screen, I poisoned Emmit. They hardly even showed the note from Sariel. It looked as if I had concocted the plan all on my own. What kind of an angle were they going for? His screams echoed, even as I ran as far away as possible. There was no way to make me look like a hero after that.

Sariel said this was okay, remember? The note he sent?

My final three kills flew by. And then, it was over. Just like the Games ended the moment they made the announcement. So why did it feel l was never going to get away from them?

Just when I thought it was over, the anthem began to play. Everyone rose from their seats, and so I did the same, just in time to see President Snow appearing on the stage. He was followed by a little girl carrying a pillow. I wanted to grimace at what she carried ever so carefully on that pillow--the crown. The true mark of the Victor.

As the President approached, I momentarily panicked. For one thing, I had never been this close to anyone important, not even the mayor in Two. For another thing, where was I supposed to look as he was coming? At him? Of course not.

The distance between us was soon closed, and I was surprised to see the man smiling at me as he rose the crown and set it gently on my head. It pushed down my bangs and made it a little harder to see, but I managed a grateful smile back.

"Congratulations, Ms. Albedo," he said in a husky voice. He stuck out his hand, and for a moment I was almost too intimidated to shake it. Then I came to my senses, remembering that the entirety of Panem was watching, and shook.

"Thank you for that wonderful presentation, President Snow. Remember, the final interview with our Victor starts tomorrow at two o'clock. Until then, goodnight, Panem. Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

The lights were out again, and I was quickly being taken off stage.

Sariel was the first one to meet me. He had only a small smile on his face. Not horrified, I told myself. Happy. "Ready for the after party?" he asked. I wanted to shake my head no while curling into his shoulder and falling asleep for the rest of the time in the Capitol.