The Games: Day 1

I looked down at what Varina had put me in. Tight, spandex like shorts that were easy to move in. A t-shirt that wouldn't show sweat (God knows the world doesn't want to see that). Tough boots that were meant for active wear.

"Looks like a hot climate," Varina commented. "Sturdy gear, like you'll be climbing, maybe."

I can do climbing. We were almost to the launch room, but I wanted the wait to take longer. Just like when I left Two, leaving this elevator would lead to a different world. It wouldn't be Varina or Angeline or Sariel anymore. It would be killers and prey, the other twenty three tributes. Surrounded by crude versions of Kane.

"You'll be fine," Varina said. I wanted to argue who was the last person to enter the arena and come out just fine? but I didn't.

"Thanks. I hope you're right." Except, hope was nothing. "You'll be watching, right?"

"Like a hawk," she smiled. It faded quickly. "Don't panic out there. Sariel told you everything you'll need. Now use it and get out of there."

Varina hadn't spoken this much to me the entire week, but I was grateful to have her. All too soon, the elevator stopped and the peacekeepers motioned us out of the elevator after I stayed a second too long.

"You have your token?" Varina asked. I reached for my neck and curled my fingers around the gold ring from my dad. Next to it was a silver ring with a two on it. They clinked together peacefully.

"I've got it," I said after a moment. "I'm good."

"'Course you are. Now the pedestal is going to raise up. After that, you're in the arena." For what could be the rest of my life.

I ignored my doubts, my turning stomach, the adrenaline rushing through me. I stepped onto the pedestal and watched as glass enclosed me in. Varina gave me one last smile, one that I couldn't return, before I was rising above her.

In the loneliness of the chamber, I knew this was it. This was the moment it all felt real. I didn't have any time to lose. This could be my last second of safety for a long time.

After a long ride which I could see almost nothing, I finally was hit my blinding sunlight, and then by the scent of pure water. I breathed it in but didn't smile. There was no time for that.

Take in your surroundings. Make a decision. I had less than one minute before it all began. I took everything in one direction at a time.

In my first look around, I knew I was surrounded by water. Lots and lots of water. It wasn't a far jump into it, really only a step. Underwater, fish swan around without a care in the world. I couldn't see where the water ended, so I ignored it for now. Directly in front of me was the cornucopia. It was packed with bags, weapons, food, stuff in general.

The Careers always take over the cornucopia. I reminded myself. I imagined Kane sitting there smugly, watching me try to swim away from him. I took on the next direction. Next to me are other tributes. They're looking around, too. Make a decision.

Somewhere distantly, a Gamemaker is counting away my seconds. I ignore it as I take a second look. This time, I see more pillars in the distance. They're all smaller than the Cornucopia, and farther away. Still, they seem to be the safest option.

So, I'll be swimming then. I knew how to swim. The Academy taught me that much. The trouble would be anyone coming after me while I was swimming. I knew plenty of competitors were better in the water than me.

I'll have to kill first. But the thought alarmed me. Sweat began to form on my brow. The Gamemaker was still counting. He had gotten down to ten. I took one final glance at the Cornucopia. There were bags right on the edges of it, I could grab one and swim away. Sure, the stuff would be crappy, but it's better than nothing, and better than facing the Careers.