The Final Interview

Start from the beginning

Virana was glowing next to me. "I'm glad you think so. Sorry for having to cut so much off, but there was a lot of damage."

I shrugged. "There are others things to worry about, right?"

Sariel came up behind me. I watched him smile in the mirror. "As long as you like it, I like it," he agreed.

"Now, for the most important part: the dress." Varina led me away, down a few more hallways and into the old mirrored room. This was where I got my Peacekeeper outfit just before the Chariot rides, when I was sure I was going to hate Varina.

Today, a dress was waiting for me on a hanger. Unlike the usual grey or black outfits Virana presented me, this one was colorful. The majority of the dress was "maya blue" according to my stylist, aka a few shades darker than the sky. It looked like it was strapless and ball gown length and was accented with tiny silver crystals.

Varina had me put it on right away, and immediately after she zippered it, commanded me to twirl in it. "Just as I suspected," she said, "it's perfect."

It was nearly time for the video by then. We were sent off to the bottom of the stage, where they lined everyone up--me, Sariel, Angeline, Virana and the team--in a special order and told us to wait.

As we stood in formation, Sariel held my hand. I was a step in front of him, I guess due to the fact that I was the actual Victor. Although I couldn't see his face, just feeling his fingers against my own was enough to make me feel better. I was pretty sure I was going to fall apart watching this video alone.

"It'll be a piece of cake," he whispered to me. "Just pretend you're looking at me whenever there's a death."

I nodded, hoping that was an alright idea. Before I could say anything more, we were given the signal and the floor beneath us began to raise up. I let go of Sariel's hand and did my best to look confident as the lights flooded over us and the audience's cheers picked up.

Caesar Flickerman was conducting our introduction. I managed to grin when he said my name. Around me, my team disappeared as they were announced, all receiving their share of cheers. Once they were gone, I headed over to where Caesar was sitting. There was a white chair that seemed to have its own spotlight on it. As gracefully as possible, I sat down in it. I offered Caesar a smile as I did.

"Noah Albedo," Caesar said in a very admiring tone. "It's wonderful to have you back."

I was finding it very hard to formulate a response to that. "Thank you, Caesar. It's good to be breathing in the Capitol air again. Or, any air."

That caused a laugh out of him. It made me feel a little better, but still not nearly relaxed as I should've been. "I can't wait until we get a chance to really talk at the interview tomorrow." Right, that. Caesar would ask questions all about the Games, making everyone has uncomfortable as possible. The only real perk was that, unlike today's event, it wasn't live.

"For now," Caesar said, "let's get the recap show started."

With that, the stage lights were dimmed and, on a projection over their heads, the video started.

In the beginning, it was easy to watch. It was a summation of the Reapings, with a special emphasis on mine. I felt so young then, like I gained a lifetime of knowledge. What would I tell that girl if I could go back?

Skim through the Chariot rides and the training highlights, another young version of myself is once again sitting with Caesar. I looked partially scared, but also strangely comfortable when I told a joke or said something sarcastic. The people that I allied with also got a special spotlight. Midnight, Diana, Ginger, Ryker--even Emmit, teaching Caesar how to dance in front of the entire nation--all were shown. Distantly, I missed them. Not in the way you would miss someone that was dead, but someone that you met once and shared a moment with. And you would have to learn to be okay with never seeing them again.