She Was My Dancing Flame

A fire was built to keep you warm. It was there when the temperature was too cold for your taste or perhaps just cold. The dancing flames filled the room with warmth.

She was my dancing flame. She filled my room with warmth. She had told me that one day she's like to move to Seattle or Chicago.

"Just imagine in it Alex! We'd be able to light all of these candles and maybe even get a fire place!" She had told me as we were drinking hot chocolate by the Christmas tree. Her beautiful green eyes had lit up with happiness.

I told her it sounded lovely. She had smiled at me. And the warmth spread through out my body at the gesture.

"C'mon Alex, it's not Christmas without a couple of Christmas songs" she had said as she lifted me up from my seat. Some hot chocolate spilling into the couch.

The stain was still there. She always said she would get it cleaned. She never did.

"Sir, would you like to see her?" The nurse asked. I got up from my seat and led her lead the way.

"She's stable for now" she said as she stood outside the room. My eyes traveled to Emma.

Her brown hair sprawled all over the pillow, her eyes were closed and her skin was pale. My fingers traced her collar bone. I could imagine her stirring in her sleep. My breath had hitched. And my heart began to hurt.

She was my dancing flame. She filled my room with warmth. I hoped I filled hers.