36: Cordelia

"By the angel, you look amazing!" Lucie squealed.

I twirled in front of the mirror in my golden wedding dress. Today was the big day. I was getting married to Harry. I was very nervous but also excited, there was only one thing that kept bothering me. James. He had stormed out of the dining room yesterday evening, when my wedding had been mentioned.

"She looks beautiful." Mother said, getting teary.

I smiled at the both of them. I was getting married in Alicante, in a beautiful garden. It had been one of my favourite places to go when I had lived here.

"Are you nervous?" Lucie asked.

She was my maid of honour, of course. She was wearing a purple dress, as was Anna Lightwood and my cousin Marie from my mother's side of the family. Though, I have no clue how I had been able to get Anna into a dress.

"Very." I replied, with a smile.

"Don't be, you look beautiful." Said Aunt Tessa who was in the room as well.

Just then Matthew walked in, dressed in his tuxedo. He looked very handsome.

"There ready for--Wow Cordy, you look amazing." He said with a smile.

"Aww Matty." I said, while going and hugging him.

When we pulled away he said: "Everyone's ready for you."

A fresh wave of nervousness washed over me. By the angel, could I do this? I had to. There was no turning back now. I watched as all of my bridesmaids filed out. Lucie gave me a quick wink as she left, and I left. In a moment, they were gone and the music started to play. I felt my father come and take my arm.

"Are you ready, darling?" He said.

"Yes." I breathed out.

We then started to walk forward. My eyes immediately saw familiar faces in the crowd. Matthew was sitting with his parents smiling at me, as was Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Henry. I saw Aunt Cecily and Uncle Gabriel. Aunt Cecily gave me a little wave, and I smiled back at her. Uncle Gideon and Aunt Sophie were standing next to them.

I saw Thomas smiling at me, and Christopher beside him looking confused. At that, I tried not to laugh. Jesse was standing beside him, with a small smile on his face. I saw my mother crying, and Alastair beside her. For once, he was actually smiling at me without any sort of smirk. I saw Aunt Tessa and Uncle Will holding hands, and smiling at me.

I was just about at the end of the aisle, when I saw him. James was standing beside Uncle Will, with the most painful and sad expression on his face. His expression was so painful, that I stopped walking. I heard my father asking me if I was alright, but all I could do was stare into James's golden eyes.

In his eyes, I could see all years between us. The time I had first met him. The times where we would laugh at something Matthew had done. The time when he had told me about him and Scarlett. Just in his eyes, I could see what he felt for me, I knew that he could see what I felt for him.

I tore my eyes away from James, to Harry. He was looking at me, very worriedly. He was in golden gear, and he looked very handsome. But was he what I wanted? All my life I had wanted James. No one but James. That had never changed. I realized with a sinking feeling, that I would always love James. He was the one I wanted to marry, not Harry.

I couldn't go through with this wedding. I felt myself walking backward, the opposite way of the alter. I then turned around and ran. I wasn't sure where I was running to, but I ran. I found myself at the bridge which looked over the canal. Why did I always end up at bridges?

I rested myself against the ledge, and I felt the tears coming. What had I just done? I had run out of my own wedding. I had left Harry there. I was despicable.

"Cordelia?" A voice said, startling me.

I whipped around, to see James. He was in his tuxedo, and he looked very dashing. My cheeks heated up at his presence.

"Are you alright?" He asked, while coming to stand beside me.

"I can't marry him." I whispered, as tears ran down my cheeks.

"Why not?" James asked.

"Because I'm in love with someone else." I said before I could stop myself.

"Who?" I could clearly hear the hurt in his voice.

I turned my head to look at him. His golden eyes were flooded with disappointing. He probably thinks it isn't him. Just tell him, Cordelia a voice said in my head. Tell him.

"You." I said. "I'm in love with you, and I was a fool to ever think that I wasn't. It has always been you."

James froze in shock.

"Y-you love me?" He asked, unbelievingly.

"Yes." I said while taking a step closer to him. "Ever since I was ten."

"What could you possibly love about me?" He whispered.

"What could I not? I love the way your smile always reaches your eyes. I love the way shyly smile when someone compliments. I love the way you manage to always look beautiful, even in the simplest of clothes. I love everything about you." I stated.

Before I could even process what was happening, James crushed his lips against mine. My arms immediately went around his neck, and pulled his closer. His arms went around my waist, and pretty soon there was no space between us. This time, I let myself fully get lost in the kiss. There was no way to describe what it was like, I couldn't put it into words. After awhile we pulled away.

"Say you'll be mine, Daisy. Promise me you'll never leave me." James whispered to me.

I leaned up and kissed him again. "I promise."