25: Lucie

"By the angel, you broke his arm?" I asked, laughing.

My father looked amused. "Yes I did."

"I did not expect a story quite like that." James said while chuckling.

"Your mother had been quite shocked when I had told her, as well." My father smirked, as he looked my mother. My mother blushed.

"Did Uncle Gabriel hate you a lot?" I asked, curiously.

"He told me, that he wished your father would die." My mother replied.

"Oh my." I said.

"To be fair though, your father bothered Gabriel on purpose all the time." My mother said.

"C'mon Tess, I know that you found it funny." My father said.

My mother tried to suppress a grin, but failed miserably. At her smile, my father looked pleased with himself.

"After he married Cecily, though, we were friends." My father said.

"How awkward for you, father," Jamie started. "For Uncle Gabriel to marry Aunt Cecily."

"It was a bad time for me." My father said, seriously.

My mother, James, and I all laughed. Suddenly James gasped and grasped his chest, where his Parabatai rune was. My mother and father looked at him alarmed.

"James, are you alright?" My mother asked at once.

"I-Matthew, something's wrong." James said, while breathing hard.

Worry flooded my body. By the angel, what could be wrong with Matthew?

"Where is Matthew? Do you know?" My father asked, worriedly.

"He-he said he was going f-for a walk." James said, clearly in pain.

"I'll go call for Jem." My mother said, and quickly got up to call him.

After she left, my father was beside James in an instant. He was holding his hand, and telling to keep breathing in and out. Just then, Cordelia walked in. Her eyes scanned all of us, and then they came to rest on James.

"Jamie, are you okay?" She said while rushing over to him.

"It's his Parabatai rune. Something's wrong with Matthew." I explained, quickly.

"Oh no." Cordelia whispered, worriedly.

My mother then walked into the room, followed Uncle Jem. He shot Cordelia and I a quick smile, and walked over to where James and my father were. Even with James in pain, my father brighten up a bit at the sight of Uncle Jem.

"What is the problem?" Uncle Jem's voice spoke in our minds.

"His Parabatai rune, it's hurting him. He thinks there's something wrong with Matthew." My father explained.

"I will take a look at him." Uncle Jem said.

Suddenly, the Institute bell rang signalling that someone was at the door. My mother, my father, Cordelia and I all rushed to the door. My father flung it open. On the steps stood a girl, who looked startlingly like Alexa Lightwood. She had black hair and dark brown eyes. Her blue dress was a bit tattered, and dirty. Beside her, stood a tall man with brown hair, and in his arms lay an unconscious Matthew. Fear stabbed through me, and I started forward.

"Matthew!" I exclaimed while cradling his head.

"Miss Amelia Penhallow." My father said to the girl, worriedly. "What is wrong with Matthew?"

Amelia had worry filled in her eyes. "I'm not sure if you all now this, but Matthew and I have been stepping out for a while now. Today we were walking in a more remote part of London and we were attacked by a pack of demons. Matthew wasn't armed, and I only had my whip. I tried my best to fight them off, but one of them bit him. I got Alexander-my carriage driver-to carry him to the carriage after him and I had fought off all the demons, to bring him here." She finished.

"Oh Matthew." I sadly, as I looked down at his face. His eyes were closed peacefully, and he had scratches on his face.

"I'll take him to the infirmary." My father said, as Alexander handed Matthew over to him.

"Thank you for bringing him back here, Amelia. Would you like to come inside?" My mother asked.

"I would love to, but I have to be home. Can you please tell Matthew to send me a message if-when he gets better?" Amelia trembled.

"Yes of course." My mother said.

Amelia then left, and three of us walked back inside. Uncle Jem and James were gone from the spot they had been in. They probably went to infirmary, I thought to myself. Just then, Jesse walked through the doors. He walked up to me, worriedly. Cordelia and my mother had gone to the infirmary.

"What's happened? I just saw some carriage go out of the gates." Jesse asked, worriedly.

"That's the Penhallow carriage, Matthew has been stepping out with Amelia Penhallow. They were walking today, when they attacked by a pack of demons. Matthew got bit by one." I explained, distraughtly.

"By the angel." Jesse said, his eyes wide.

"I know. How was your talk with Uncle Gabriel?" I asked, changing the subject.

He smiled. "It was good. He told me that he felt bad about not being able to speak to me that much at Cordelia's party. He made clear that him and Uncle Gideon did not hate me. He also said that I was welcome at him and Aunt Cecily's house anytime I wanted."

"Well that is good." I said, happily.

"It is." Jesse said with a smile.

I swear, that smile was enough to make my heart melt. I couldn't believe that I had almost kissed him, before Uncle Gabriel had interrupted us. My cheeks heated up, at the thought of it.

"Shall we go see how Matthew is doing?" I asked, trying to forget my thoughts.

"Okay." Jesse agreed.

We then on our way, and I could not stop thinking of how close we were to each other. By the angel, I had fallen for him. Bad.