You've Got It All Wrong

Avalon's POV

I landed with a soft thud on the wet grass beneath me. I looked up at the brightening sky in time to see the sparkling, dark swirls of the portal disappear. As I rose from my crouched position, I pictured my red, gloomy, eyes with black pits an intense emerald, my brown, scaled skin a soft honey brown, and the black, mess of hair I have an intriguing blonde. My bones rubbed against each other as I transformed into my human form, banishing my demon to the back of my mind. The pain emanating from all parts of my body slowly started to cease and when I straightened my back I was a petite human, exactly how I pictured before.

Sometimes it's hard to be the way I am, hated, disgusted, having to disguise myself to stop from being hunted. I would never wish to be any other way, though, it didn't used to be like this, and I'm transfixed on getting it back to the way it was years ago. It's horrible to have to be on high alert every second of every day, what I want, what my kind wants, is to be free and able to live without fear. That might not ever happen, the rumour caused many years ago could have ceased our freedom for forever. Our leader, Demon Shere, was caught in what looked like a murder to the eyes of witness' but all he was doing was saving what are now known as the hunters of demons, Graco.

After the accident that day, it's never been the same, we were banished to the underworlds, some of us brutally killed, others locked away in a dungeon while our old allies took their new title. No demon caught in the hands of a Gracoian has ever survived, or not been locked away forever. I'm trying to change that, all of it, I want freedom, no, I need freedom. I'm tired of fighting for what should be ours anyways, we deserve our land and trust back.

I took deep breaths as I searched the area for any sign of a Gracoian, sniffing the air, I started to move, satisfied I was safe. My feet echoed off the cement sidewalk with every step, the houses around me all had dark windows, signalling no one was awake yet. Stupid humans, they don't even have a clue what exists and what doesn't, they have imagines about the tooth fairy, a small harmless creature, when they are anything but. They are truly evil, they are allies with werewolves, yet another evil thing in this world. None of those species are hunted though, only us, because murder is a very large crime, but they don't know the half of it.

A bush to my right moved slightly, I listened with my demon ears while using my eyes to decipher what was in the bush. The worst it could be was a Gracoian, but I would've smelled it right? I inhaled deeply, getting none of any form of Graco stench, none at all. My body tensed as the leaves moved again, I bent my knees, ready for a fight, the noise got louder and the bush moved rapidly. I watched, ready for battle, about to lunge when I saw an eye peering at me, when a rabbit hopped out of the same bush and hopped away quickly.

I inwardly laughed, amused in myself for being so pathetic. I continued to walk the streets of the human society, dreading any interactions with predators or not. I was on a hunt for our leader, he left to spy for information on the Graco culture. They usually come up with ideas of how to win a battle with us and stuff like that. Little did they know we've been eavesdropping for years now, listening on their plans to win a war against us. I was headed to today's meeting, I had to tell Demon Shere what my plan was so he could listen for helpful information. We needed to let them know that we're not harmful, we can't go on living like this, even if it came to a war, we had to tell the Gracoians. I arrived at the entrance we use to access the meetings, an old telephone pole, and removed a piece of stray wood to reveal the open button. As I pushed down, I heard a small click, then the ground beneath me shook abruptly, then parted, a small staircase entered my vision and I pushed all of my nerves that were trying to choke me back down.

I descended down the steps quickly and quietly, avoiding alerting the Graco culture. If we were caught, we were done for, considered dead. As I went further down a light lit the bottom of the steps, I hid behind a wall and peeked out to hear voices. I couldn't see anyone so I stepped forward, attempting to get a better view and find Demon Shere, but ended up falling on my human face, a loud crash sounding throughout the room. All small voices stopped, except for one." Who's there?" A deep, obviously angry voice asked,"show yourself," I didn't move, only tried to hide myself within the shadows as footsteps came closer. I heard a sniff, someone smelling the air for me. It was finally quiet enough I tried to escape, about to mount the steps when I was pulled back by my hair. I yelped in pain. "Demon!" The same voice shouted.