The Blushing Pretend Bride

Start from the beginning

"Beautiful!  Just beautiful!" her assistance chimed in.  "Lady Anympha is never wrong!"

Her cult might have been convinced of her power, but I was not.  I didn't even get a chance to try on the dress!  I was the only person to walk the runway in my own clothes.  It wasn't for lack of samples in my size, though.  The blame was solely on Lady Anympha.

"You will not wear any old dress, darling," she purred.  "I'm ordering a special kind of dress for you.  My showstopper needs a showstopper to stop the show, yes!"

My life is just one disaster after another.

I maintained that line of thinking when the big day finally arrived, and our modest group of four headed out to the Arbol Wedding Expo.  It didn't help that the so-called head lionness, Melissa Archer, wormed her way into this assignment.  Even worse, she managed to grab the seat next to him in the van before I had a chance.  Thank goodness Rachael tagged along as well.  I needed someone to keep me check or else I'd have walked right over to Melissa and punched her right in the ovaries.

"Girl. you need to over there and punch that bitch in the ovaries, for real," Rachael hissed.  Yeah, so much for that idea.

"You know I can't do anything!" I hissed back.  "If I do anything, then that puts our jobs in danger.  I'm not about to do that, especially since Kaim moved from another town to take up this gig."

"Yeah, but look at that shameless hussy."  Shameless hussy was about right.  She was over there in the front seat, flicking her hair, complimenting him on his driving skills while biting her lip.  Even though he avoided every attempt made to touch him, I still want to walk right over there and rip her hair out.  "I'm surprised she hasn't straddled him, the way she's pouring it on."

"Rachael!" I dry heaved a few times.  "Please - I actually ate this morning."

"What a desperate woman - can't she see he's not interested?"  Kaim may have smiled and nodded a few times, but for the most part, he was focused on driving.  "She really wants to put that notch on her wall."

"Yeah, well she won't."  Never mind that trifle bit of insecurity wouldn't leave me alone about it.  "While her brand of sultry desperation is attractive to most men, Kaim is not interested."

"That's true - honestly, he looks like he'd rather me somewhere else."  My body seized up when I caught sight of him in the review mirror, that playful look in his eyes.  There were no words for how difficult it was to stop myself from giggling.  "Can't say I blame him either."

"Yeah."  He gave me one last wink before turning his attentions back to the road.  "Can you believe he's actually looking forward to this fashion show?  Meanwhile, I'm a nervous wreck over here."

"Of course I can," Rachael snickered.  "People already think he's a model, so I guess he wants to play the part for one day."

"Nnnn, I guess."  Her argument was pretty solid, though.  "Then again, all he has to do is put on the suit and walk with me down the runway while I show off - whatever it is I'll be showing off."

"You mean, you still don't know?"

"Nope," I said, popping the "p".  "No phone call, no extra rehearsal, no nothing.  Just a wing, a hope, and a prayer that whatever it is, it fits, and nothing bursts or that I look like the Michelin Man."

"I don't think you have anything to worry about, Ms. Mercier."  Kaim's eyes were one again in the rearview mirror, but this time, they were encouraging.  "I think you'll look fine."

I couldn't help but smile at the love within his eyes.  "And how do you figure that, partner?  You've only seen me in my work clothes."

"I just know."  He was cemented in his opinion.  "Besides, this Lady Anympha lady is supposedly good at that stuff, right?  I'm sure she'll put you in an amazing dress.  You might even upstage me."