Chapter 4: Class With An Ass

Start from the beginning

I knew that many of the students in Slytherin were probably decent people, but it was widely accepted between all Hufflepuffs that they were supporters of Voldemort. Especially since last year's escapade at the Ministry of Magic that involved the death of Harry Potter's godfather, Sirius Black. Rumor had it that Bellatrix Lastrange had been the one to kill him and the then Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, had finally admitted to Voldemort's return. Everyone knew Bellatrix was a loyal follower of him and had been a Slytherin herself. Most of us Hufflepuffs avoided the serpent-wearing students at all costs.

"Maybe this is the first year I skip all my classes and fail," I said haughtily.

"The words 'skip' and 'fail' don't fit well together in the same sentence coming from you," Ernie said poking his head around his class schedule and looking at Zach's.

"What classes do you have anyway?" I asked him.

"Same as you, but not in the same order," he said a little dejectedly.

"Hannah?" I asked hopefully.

I was praying she wouldn't leave me totally alone with Zach for the entire year.

"Looks like I'm in Herbolgy with you and Zach but that's it," she said frowning. "Ernie, let me see yours."

He pushed it over to her and located some actual bacon.

"We have Transfiguration and Potions together!" She exclaimed happily.

"Good, at least I'll know someone even if I can't sit near you," Ernie said retrieving his schedule and stuffing more bacon into his mouth.

"Slow down, mate," Zach said while eating some toast.

"What? I'm hungry," Ernie said sending bits of bacon into Zach's face.

"You're gross."

The sound of students rising from their tables and shuffling towards classes prevented Ernest replying rudely to Zach. He headed off to Transfiguration with Hannah leaving me to follow Zach down to Potions.

"I can't believe we have all the same classes this year," Zach commented as we approached Slughorn's classroom.

"I know, how ever will I survive?" I asked comically.

He playfully punched my shoulder as we entered and stood against the wall. As more people showed up, Professor Slughorn started showing everyone to their assigned seats. My stomach sank when Zach was placed at the front corner of the classroom next to Cho Chang from Ravenclaw and two other Gryffindors. He smiled sadly over her shoulder and sighed.

"Miss Nine? So nice to see you again. Miss Nine, you will be sitting back here next to Mr. Malfoy," Slughorn said before moving on the the rest of the students.

The back corner diagonal from Zach was my spot. I sat down and silently prayed Malfoy wouldn't sit with me. Yet there he was with his bleach blonde hair and darker than night suit. I would normally be super excited to be in the back of the room but now I had to sit next to the guy who pushed me over at the train station, I was less than thrilled. There's always the possibility he won't remember who I am and completely ignore me all year.

Professor Slughorn introduced himself and the course and what we'd be doing this year. Right away, he had us doing book work with our table partners and it just so happened that Malfoy and I were the only table with two people because of the small class size.

I pulled out my textbook but dropped my quill in the process. Someone chuckled and I blushed angrily. That someone was Malfoy.

"You can't even hold a quill. No wonder you dropped your trunk at the platform," he sneered.