VIII

AVALON GILINSKY

By the end of the day, I had seen Sammy four times and talked to him twice.

Not that I was counting or anything.

I hated that I was feeling butterflies everytime I saw him or heard his name or voice. I was like a lovesick puppy, but this wasn't me. It was something I had never experienced.

I had liked boys before of course, but never a boy like Sam. He was 18 for crying out loud, he was a man compared to the freshman boys I was surrounded by.

Plus there was no reason to admit to a crush when it didn't matter—he was way out of my league anyway.

Luckily, he didn't recognize any of my sudden clumsiness or embarrassment when I was around him, probably because I was an embarrassment even when I wasn't a nervous wreck!

I really need to forget my feelings and get over him because even if I did have feelings for him, which I obviously don't, I would have to get over them quick because he'd be going to college in less than a year.

There's just something so right about older guys, and it sounds crazy that three years is considered "older" but I mean, this is high school. A freshman with a senior? 15 and 18?

Although, a sugar daddy would be nice...

Okay Av, you gotta shut up this time.

Obviously he doesn't have an interest in me, and he shouldn't—he's my brother's best friend. Isn't that a total violation of bro code or something?

Uggghh. I flopped onto my bed, groaning into my hands. Sighing, I turned my phone on to see a total of no notifications. The usual.

"Avalon!" I heard Jack holler from downstairs, but I didn't want to talk to him right now. Is my teenage angst not enough to scare you off, Jack? Because it should be.

He kept calling my name but I felt myself drifting to sleep the longer I closed my eyes.

"If you don't come down here, I will
come up there!" Jack yelled as I heard his feet stomping up the staircase. Racing outside to meet him before he could possibly pull me out by my hair (which he had done once or twice *playfully* and he probably was down to do it again), running into his chest.

Although when I looked up it wasn't Jack.

It was Sammy (along with his glorious face meeting mine with his beautiful toothy smile that I was beginning to love).

"He sent me up here so he wouldn't be tempted to drag you." He whispered softly, his eyes swirling with a hint of secrets behind them.

"Yeah, that's what I thought he'd do, he has done it before and I didn't want it to happen again and that's why I was running and now I'm rambling and I don't understand completely but-" His lips on mine stopped my non stop rambling, his hands finding my waist and pulling me closer. I felt my lips move against his, we were in perfect sync. How could something so wrong feel so right?